Join for free
Page 13 of 15 « First < 3 11 12 13 14 15 >
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-03-2021, 11:33 PM

Re: I Must Admit, l Do Have Trouble With My ‘Who’ And ‘Whom’.

Originally Posted by Bathsheba ->
Ooh go on then, give us a twirl. Have you got some pretty pink ballet shoes as well?
OK. Your wish is my command.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	Image 1.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	24.7 KB
ID:	14959  
eccles
South West
eccles is female  eccles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2021, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
I would say "To whom shall I send it" I think.
You definitely don't need an additional "to" at the end.
eccles
South West
eccles is female  eccles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2021, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by Last Tango ->
Being involved in home schooling, I have been sitting alongside my granddaughter during online meetings and constantly have to listen to her (youngish) teacher referring to her class as "yous" - grr! That said, over the weeks I have grown to appreciate her easy manner and the way the pupils respond so positively to her.

I also carry a felt tip pen in my bag to cross out apostrophes as in "apple's" etc.

Whilst my son was at Uni he had a part-time job in a local Homebase store and was able to tell me I had been in the store because their "Christmas Tree's" sign had been altered!
OK, I admit it - I do that as well. Apostrophes upset me more than I can say, the way they're randomly added or missed out (usually added) to signs and correspondence. I do understand that many people just don't understand their usage, but why is it that those people always seem to be chosen to write the damn signs?

Just off to cool myself down ........
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2021, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
Oh but it does....

"Whoever" is more of a colloquial, informal, chatty

"Whomsoever" indicates a more formal, academic tone.

nuances matter....
Who'd a thunk it!
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2021, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
≠ 11 would cause some confusion. Some would turn up with a trolley full of 12 or more items.

≠ 11 or more might do, but I'm sure that would also cause problems.
Inequalities ≤,≥,<,> not non-equality ≠
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2021, 11:43 AM

Ah! It's been so good to see Fred Dibnah back on tv, this week.

His command of the English langauge, with just a light Northern touch, is so welcome!

JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2021, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by eccles ->
OK, I admit it - I do that as well. Apostrophes upset me more than I can say, the way they're randomly added or missed out (usually added) to signs and correspondence. I do understand that many people just don't understand their usage, but why is it that those people always seem to be chosen to write the damn signs?

Just off to cool myself down ........
I find it a little embarrassing.

Foreigners, most of whom probably know how to write correct English better than so many of our own people, must have a quiet chuckle when they see all these signs!

Why is that?

Well, my dad (born in 1910) could write English very well and always correctly, despite being brought up in a poor working-class family. Why? Presumably, because they taught the basics of our language at school in those days.

So why can so many not use English well today?

School teaching has changed enormously over the past few decades. The basic, but extremely important, 'three Rs': reading, (w)riting and (a)rithmetic have, bit by bit, given way to what educational 'experts' insist are the far more politically correct subjects like 'equality studies' and 'expression of feelings' (just made that one up, but you get my drift).

Do I care?

Well, I used to. I used to care a great deal.
But now I realise that there is nothing I can do about it.

However, had Marge and I had children I should certainly have ensured that they received the same sort of important basic education that my father did.

So we now have a situation where only educated people - who can be bothered to do so - can ensure their children are educated properly, whilst those children who are not in such a fortunate position must take pot luck and live with what the experts deem important!
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2021, 12:49 PM

Language changes with time. Live with it 'cos you ain't gonna change it back.
Dachs
Germany
Dachs is male  Dachs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2021, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Foreigners, most of whom probably know how to write correct English better than so many of our own people, must have a quiet chuckle when they see all these signs!
Yep, some of them have but, ironically, the same mistakes tend to be made in other countries as well where they are confused with the rules of their own language and/or because they don't know what the correct English usage is.
In Ger, for example, you can see the same mistakes on signs (that they may have spent some money on) like "Sausage's, Snack's, Drink's" but "Harrys Backshop" or as vehicle lettering like "energy advices" the main thing being that it's supposedly in English.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2021, 01:28 PM

Providing the meaning is clear, does it really matter?

After all, we're not talking about technical nor legal text, which has to be accurate.

Page 13 of 15 « First < 3 11 12 13 14 15 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top