Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool
Cookiecate is female  Cookiecate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2012, 01:29 PM

Football

I love to watch football and since my husband introduced me to Manchester United I have adopted them as my own, I also lived in West Ham, Tottenham, Carlisle and now Fleetwood so I have a selection of teams to shout for.

I adopted David Beckham as the son I would have liked as we both come from Leytonstone in London and I got to speak to his dad once.

I have been to many football matches and once we even went to New York for a week-end to watch Man-United playing the MLS Allstars. Beckham was playing, Eric my hero and of course the greatest goal keeper in the world Peter (better known as Shmikes)

I loved it and was so impressed by the fans that attended this match, they were noisy and fun and certainly showed the Americans what Football was all about.

So, on Sunday when I saw some damn fool throw coins onto the pitch and damaging yet another of my adopted sons I was furious. We had seen coins raining down throughout the match at Rooney (son 3) and Robin Van Persie (haven't decided yet after all he did come from Arsenel)

I know from my visits to Manchester and the loud banter that goes on between Man City fans and the Man U fans that different strokes for different folks runs high in this town.

To say that being hit by a coin can kill you is not an overstatement. I can only imagine that the idiot who injured Rio wanted to get him off the pitch because he didn't think City could win without his nasty helpfulness.

Looking closely it looked to us as if the Stewards actually looked away when people began throwing stuff. However, with the help of cctv people were seen and some were arrested.

I would be interested in the views of the older and more wise people on this forum on this issue.

The other thing I got really upset about was racism. I am afraid I cannot get my head around people being abused on the pitch because of their colour. I might be a bit dumb but there were people of every hue on that pitch a real melting pot why on earth would some dinosaur make racist remarks is unbelievably stupid.

Again I would like the views of honoured OFF folk cos you is all wise not like what I am.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2012, 04:55 PM

Re: Football

I'm not a big football fan but I do watch some of the top matches on TV. I think that the behaviour of some of the fans is apalling and if they are identified they should be banned for life - nothing short of that will eradicate this unpleasant side of the game.
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2012, 07:42 PM

It was two Manchester teams playing each other and thats what they do,its either win or die almost . I was a Manu fan and my Dad was city.
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2012, 10:10 AM

To be honest, I think the racist language element is overplayed somewhat. Back in the 70's, when I went to football matches often, the racist language, insults etc was far far worse than anything around today. Football was a working class sport with working class origins and often carried the "industrial" language and attitudes of its origins onto the pitch and the terraces. I remember the incredible abuse thrown at Clyde Best, the black West Ham player, who played for the Hammers between 1969 and 1976. In comparison, today, racist incidents at football matches are more remarkable for their rarity than their frequency. That isn't to say, of course, that any racism is acceptable, but I do think we need to take a balanced view of such things and not join in with the tabloids' moral panics.
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2012, 12:27 PM

Being a big foottie fan for over 50 years I agree with Annie. Two
Manc clubs playing each other is not going to be "let me open the
door for iyou" kind of games. I used to go Leeds when Don Revie was
the Manager and Man U came to Elland Road, there wasnt any
politeness between the teams neither was there with the fans. I
hated Man U fans in those days. In those days you didnt get
coins thrown as no one could afford it.
I also hate racism too and cannot understand it. My Grandkids are
half Thai so have a lovely suntan all year round, I go on holiday to
get a suntan so who cares what colour you are, its whats in the heart.
There are not alot of places you can let off steam nowadays when you
are younger and a footie game seems to attract people who have to
hurt the other side. You get thugs everywhere but luckily a minority in
my eyes. Dont read the papers.
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool
Cookiecate is female  Cookiecate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2012, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by MickB ->
To be honest, I think the racist language element is overplayed somewhat. Back in the 70's, when I went to football matches often, the racist language, insults etc was far far worse than anything around today. Football was a working class sport with working class origins and often carried the "industrial" language and attitudes of its origins onto the pitch and the terraces. I remember the incredible abuse thrown at Clyde Best, the black West Ham player, who played for the Hammers between 1969 and 1976. In comparison, today, racist incidents at football matches are more remarkable for their rarity than their frequency. That isn't to say, of course, that any racism is acceptable, but I do think we need to take a balanced view of such things and not join in with the tabloids' moral panics.
Totally agree with you Mick, the racism you talk about is when there was just one black man on the field and an awful lot of insults being thrown (rather than money nobody could afford) People like Clyde and the older Ferdinand must have some stories to tell but they just got on with it and now it is just from a small minority. I am not so worried about the racism from the crowd but the racism on the pitch. I want to say to these players : Don't bring your racist insults over here and then pretend it is perfectly acceptable in your language.

I don't read the papers but did watch the Manchester derby and see your views that fans 'hate' each other but this coin throwing needs to be stopped before someone loses an eye or worse.
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2012, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by BowieEyes ->
I used to go Leeds when Don Revie was the Manager and Man U came to Elland Road, there wasnt any politeness between the teams neither was there with the fans. I hated Man U fans in those days. In those days you didnt get coins thrown as no one could afford it.
I remember the old Leeds vs Man U hatred very well (having been a Man U supporter since I was 10). Teams seem to need one big rival to focus on. After Leeds it was Liverpool, then Arsenal, then Chelski and nowadays City.

I suspect that the "fans" throwing coins and racist insults are the same kind of people involved in binge drinking and city centre weekend violence - youngsters who are fortunate enough to be in work, but can't afford to buy a house/flat and so have lots of disposable income to waste.

Mick
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2012, 07:39 PM

Can you see any of the old teams stamping their feet or falling on the ground.... I dont think so, spoilt brats all of them.
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool

14-12-2012, 12:10 AM

Well I do worry about how the game is going. Did you hear about the poor linesman (I think) who was beaten to death by the players in Holland now that is awful. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-20583970 that incident makes some of the stuff going on in our Premiership look nothing. You are right annie some of those lads should have their legs slapped.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2012, 10:38 AM

Sorry Cate, but I can't think of anything more banal and nonsensical than football. The hysteria generated by 22 big girl's blouses chasing after a pig's bladder is absolutely ridiculous. They say sport brings people together, but I can think of few things more tribal and divisive as football. And as for the idiots that spend half their wages going to the game so that their "heroes" can as good as win the lottery every week, don't even ask me what I think...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top