Join for free
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2009, 03:38 PM

Maybe I won't be moving to Australia after all...

A quarter of a million homes in Australia could be uninhabitable by the end of this century, because of the dangers of coastal erosion and rising sea levels.

Some communities have already begun to demolish luxury homes which have been built on vulnerable coastlines.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asi...ic/8433288.stm

And I loved the idea of living in a canal front home in Mandurah!

Also, they've just started to censor the internet too - don't like the idea of some govt telling me what I can and can't look at on the web!
moetmum
Hampshire
moetmum is female  moetmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2009, 07:20 PM

Re: Maybe I won't be moving to Australia after all...

I saw that on BBC this morning. Its a way of life for a lot of Australians. We are facing coastal erosion here too though.

I wasn't aware that they had their internet censored though, thats surprising.
PPHammer
Yorkshire, UK
PPHammer is male  PPHammer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2009, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by Azz ->

Also, they've just started to censor the internet too - don't like the idea of some govt telling me what I can and can't look at on the web!
My friends and their kids have just emigrated to Australia - waiting for my invite at the moment. But the answer to your problem is to buy somewhere waaaaay inland for a fraction of the price and wait for the coast to come to you.

And the internet thing - good enough reason to stay put for me.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2009, 11:19 PM

If the rise in ocean levels is as bad as expected, we'll all lose some of our coastal cities! And I too don't want Big Brother telling me what I may and may not access on the Net ... like China!
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2009, 03:03 AM

MM - they said 80% of Australians live near the coast! I never knew it was that many

PPH - LOL @ your idea. Sounds like a plan tho

DM - Oh yeah forgot that, I can add that to my Avoid China list
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2009, 12:31 PM

Have you got a link to the internet censorship thing Azz - doesn't sound the Aussie way?

Raging wildfires in Western Australia today. It is suffering badly from climate change (whatever the cause(s)) and overpopulation of coastal (i.e. habitable) areas.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK

30-12-2009, 04:14 PM

Here ya go:

Australia introduces web filters

Australia intends to introduce filters which will ban access to websites containing criminal content.

The banned sites will be selected by an independent classification body guided by complaints from the public, said Communications Minister Stephen Conroy.

A seven month trial in conjunction with ISPs found the technology behind the filter to be 100% effective.

However, that claim has been questioned and there has been opposition from some internet users.

Twitter users have been voicing their disapproval by adding the search tag "nocleanfeed" to their comments about the plans.

"Successful technology isn't necessarily successful policy," said Colin Jacobs, a spokesperson for Electronic Frontiers Australia, a non-profit organisation that campaigns for online freedom.

"We're yet to hear a sensible explanation of what this policy is for, who it will help, and why it is worth spending so much taxpayers' money on."

Mr Conroy said the filters included optional extras such as a ban on gambling sites which ISPs could choose to implement in exchange for a grant.

"Through a combination of additional resources for education and awareness, mandatory internet filtering of RC (refused classification)-rated content, and optional ISP-level filtering, we have a package that balances safety for families and the benefits of the digital revolution," he said.

The filter laws will be introduced in parliament in August 2010 and will take a year to implement.

'noble aims'

"Historical attempts to put filters in place have been effective up to a point," Dr Windsor Holden, principal analyst at Juniper Research, told BBC News.

The "noble aims" of the filter could be lost in its implementation, he warned.

"Clearly there is a need to protect younger and more vulnerable users of the net, but one concern is that it won't just be illegal websites that will be blocked," he added.

"You have to take extreme caution in how these things are rolled out and the uses to which they're put."
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8413377.stm
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2009, 05:48 PM

Big Brother! Start locking out some sites, then maybe a few more that people disapprove of, then.....

A slippery slope ......
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2009, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by Azz ->

Still a great country 'tho - with the exception of that mad women

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top