Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Goldielocks
Spain
Goldielocks is female  Goldielocks has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-04-2016, 11:55 AM

Authentic Paella

This recipe is from a Spanish Restaurant Owner and is delicious

AUTHENTIC PAELLA VALENCIA

1 tablespoon olive oil 1/2 (4 pound) whole chicken, cut into 6 pieces 1/2 (2 pound) rabbit, cleaned and cut into pieces 1 head garlic, cloves separated and peeled 1 tomato, finely chopped 1 (15.5 ounce) can butter beans 1/2 (10 ounce) package frozen green peas 1/2 (10 ounce) package frozen green beans salt to taste 1 teaspoon mild paprika, or to taste 1 pinch saffron threads dried thyme to taste (optional) dried rosemary to taste (optional) 4 cups uncooked white rice, or as needed Add all ingredients to list

Directions

Heat a paella pan over medium-high heat, and coat with olive oil. Add the chicken, rabbit and garlic; cook and stir until nicely browned. Move the browned meat to the sides of the pan, and add the tomato, butter beans, peas, and green beans. Season with paprika, and mix well.

Fill the paella pan almost to the top with water, measuring the water as you put it in. This is to help you to determine how much rice to add, as paella pans come in different sizes. Bring to a boil. Simmer for about 1 hour to make a nice broth.
Season with a generous amount of salt, and just enough saffron to make a nice yellow color. Season with thyme and rosemary if desired. The goal is to make a rich tasting broth that will soak into the rice to make it delicious. Stir in half as much rice as the amount of water in the pan. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer until all of the liquid has been absorbed, about 20 minutes.

Enjoy
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-04-2016, 12:17 PM

Re: Authentic Paella

An interesting recipe. `Paella` was my once a term dish to impress the lady is was seeing. The cost of saffron now would be more than the cost of everything back then.
Goldielocks
Spain
Goldielocks is female  Goldielocks has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-04-2016, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by Older git ->
An interesting recipe. `Paella` was my once a term dish to impress the lady is was seeing. The cost of saffron now would be more than the cost of everything back then.

This is a recipe from a Canarian chef on Lanzarote. It is very tasty. Do you mean the cost now of Saffron or did it turn your hands yellow x
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-04-2016, 02:27 PM

safron---I love it. One of the most expensive spices around though
Goldielocks
Spain

18-04-2016, 02:33 PM

safron---I love it. One of the most expensive spices around though
I saw a documentary how they grow and harvest the crocus. Very time consuming for just a small amount x
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-04-2016, 02:40 PM

That sounds like a nice recipe but I always put prawns in my paellas, so I hope your Canarian chef won't be offended if I make a little adjustment to it.
Goldielocks
Spain

18-04-2016, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
That sounds like a nice recipe but I always put prawns in my paellas, so I hope your Canarian chef won't be offended if I make a little adjustment to it.

I do too Twink. I always feel we tweak our recipes to suit our taste buds. I am sure Manuel won't mind in the least. x
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs

18-04-2016, 03:00 PM

My problem is rabbit. I have no time for farmed rabbit but can never get wild rabbit tender enough unless it is slow cooked for ages.
Goldielocks
Spain

18-04-2016, 03:03 PM

My problem is rabbit. I have no time for farmed rabbit but can never get wild rabbit tender enough unless it is slow cooked for ages.
You don't have to use rabbit mind you. I agree with farmed rabbit. Just add anything you really like. Just tweak x
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-04-2016, 03:06 PM

Put a bit of lean pork in instead, you won't notice the difference because the flavour comes from the broth rather than the meat..

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top