Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-06-2017, 02:15 PM

Sultana Slab

Hi everyone, what a miserable morning! It absolutely poured down with rain here, Had my groceries delivered and realised I had forgotten to add a Manor House cake to the order, (which he who must obey loves) so, as I haven’t done any baking in weeks, (I have to be in the mood), thought I would make a traybake for him so he doesn’t get withdrawal symptoms. I haven’t made this recipe before but it has come out really well and is filling the kitchen with the most gorgeous aroma of fruit cake. Far too tempting to cut a square so have come into the other room to share it the recipe with those of you who may not have tried this one as a traybake.

Sultana Slab

Preheat your oven to 160C/320F/140Fan/Gas 3.

Grease or oil a roasting tin or baking tray roughly about 8 x 12inches. (I used an oil spray as easier).

You will need:

450g Sultanas
3 Eggs
350g Sugar
2 teaspoons Almond Extract
225g Butter
350g Plain Flour
2 teaspoons Baking Powder.

Place your sultanas into a large saucepan and cover with water. (I know the recipe says water but I used ½ water and ½ orange juice). Bring to the boil and then let them simmer for 15 minutes until nice and plump.
In another Bowl, mix the eggs, sugar and almond extract.
Once the 15 minutes are up, take the sultanas off the heat and drain them. Add the butter to the sultanas and just let it melt with the heat from the sultanas. If the butter doesn’t melt completely then put back on burner on the lowest heat just until butter has melted completely.
Allow this to cool.
Now add the egg/sugar/almond mixture to the sultanas, and then the flour and the baking powder.
Mix thoroughly and then pour this into your prepared tin.
Cook for 1 hour to 1 hour 15 mins, until well risen and golden brown.
Let it cool in the tin and then cut into slabs.

This Sultana Slab keeps well and also freezes well.
Pulled a piece off the end and it tastes yum. Think he will enjoy this.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010373.JPG
Views:	135
Size:	29.2 KB
ID:	3213  
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-06-2017, 02:23 PM

Re: Sultana Slab

Thanks for this one, sounds yummy, can't wait to try it!
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-06-2017, 02:32 PM

Thanks Ruthio. As I fully admit, I am not the best at baking unless I am following a recipe to a tee. This one was really easy (even for me!) LOL. Hope you enjoy it. I'm pretty sure he who must obey will, he likes a piece of fruit cake in his lunch box. x
Malc.27
Pembroke U.K.
Malc.27 is male  Malc.27 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-06-2017, 11:34 PM

Could it be made without the sugar? 350g sounds like a lot, to a type 2 diabetic, who is trying to cut out the sugar in my diet, (where possible)...

It does look tempting, though!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2017, 09:29 AM

I have got to stop reading your threads Shropshire, if I don't I'll be in a diabetic coma !

I'm going to try your recipe but reduce the sugar, it may not be quite as yummy but I may live to see another day

Keep posting btw my family love you
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire

28-06-2017, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by Malc.27 ->
Could it be made without the sugar? 350g sounds like a lot, to a type 2 diabetic, who is trying to cut out the sugar in my diet, (where possible)...

It does look tempting, though!
Hi Malc, I certainly agree that 350g sugar certainly is a lot, even for a non-diabetic! but to be honest, this is a Traybake and not a cake,so the amount of ingredients will certainly be more. What I have done with this, is cut the Traybake up into squares, I've put 1/2 of them into my cake container on the kitchen counter. (More than enough to put a piece into he who must obey's lunchbox for the week) and popped the other half into a lidded container in the freezer. Will take it out again on Sunday for the week ahead.
.As stated, this is really suitable for freezing so you could freeze as much of the traybake as you want and just take out a slab or two for the next day as and when you want it.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire

28-06-2017, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I have got to stop reading your threads Shropshire, if I don't I'll be in a diabetic coma !

I'm going to try your recipe but reduce the sugar, it may not be quite as yummy but I may live to see another day

Keep posting btw my family love you
Awww, thanks Julie, I often wonder what it would taste like if one used something like Canderel sugar instead of Granulated or Caster? I certainly don't want to be seen as encouraging anyone to be consuming more sugar, but blimey, everything that tastes yum seems to have sugar!! damnation!
Malc.27
Pembroke U.K.
Malc.27 is male  Malc.27 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2017, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Hi Malc, I certainly agree that 350g sugar certainly is a lot, even for a non-diabetic! but to be honest, this is a Traybake and not a cake,so the amount of ingredients will certainly be more. What I have done with this, is cut the Traybake up into squares, I've put 1/2 of them into my cake container on the kitchen counter. (More than enough to put a piece into he who must obey's lunchbox for the week) and popped the other half into a lidded container in the freezer. Will take it out again on Sunday for the week ahead.
.As stated, this is really suitable for freezing so you could freeze as much of the traybake as you want and just take out a slab or two for the next day as and when you want it.
Many thanks for your reply...That sounds ideal.
I do love cake, however I have to be strict with my daily intake of any sweet product as I am, so far, managing my condition without medication.
Irene
Stafford, England
Irene is female  Irene has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2017, 08:21 PM

My ingredients are lined up waiting for action tomorrow...

I will certainly freeze half of it immediately. My hubby has a seriously sweet tooth, so can't wait for production to start!

Thanks for the recipe. I'll let you know how I get on.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2017, 10:12 PM

Don't forget to post how it goes Irene, I'm doing mine on the weekend!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top