Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2020, 09:11 AM

Naturally wild horses

While these wild horses are in Wyoming, U.S.A. , they can be found in many western states and a few states on the east coast. Majestic creatures !

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	OIP.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	15.8 KB
ID:	11714   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wild-horses-in-Wyoming-flicka-and-the-saddle-club-30420520-1920-1200.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	11715  
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2020, 10:38 AM

Re: Naturally wild horses

I love horses, beautiful animals...
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2020, 10:54 AM

Me too Mags.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2020, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
While these wild horses are in Wyoming, U.S.A. , they can be found in many western states and a few states on the east coast. Majestic creatures !
I follow The Cloud Foundation, a group started by Ginger Kathrens.

https://www.thecloudfoundation.org/?...ce-1i_apTyZLXg

After seeing her DVD of Cloud the lovely palomino stallion she first found as a foal & then followed all his life.

I think what the BLM are doing to America's wild & native horses is barbaric, more people should be supporting Ginger & her campaign to save the wild horse herds. They are part of American heritage.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2020, 12:55 PM

I think the problem is that there are too many Tiff .
https://www.nationalgeographic.com/a...ement-options/
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

28-02-2020, 01:24 PM

The only wild horse ( as opposed from feral ) is found in Mongolia , the Przewalski horse .
This breed teetered on the brink of extinction.
It was re introduced in the wild and has made an amazing recovery.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/scien...rse-180961142/
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2020, 02:45 PM

I am not going to argue with either of you. America's horses are wild, they have been for generations. Read Ginger's articles on the fate of these beautiful horses. She has been campaigning for years to protect the wild horses from extinction. They will all be wiped out if the BLM get their way, so that the cattle men's cattle can graze all the land that the horses & other wild life are entitled to.
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2020, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
I am not going to argue with either of you. America's horses are wild, they have been for generations. Read Ginger's articles on the fate of these beautiful horses. She has been campaigning for years to protect the wild horses from extinction. They will all be wiped out if the BLM get their way, so that the cattle men's cattle can graze all the land that the horses & other wild life are entitled to.
There is zero possibility that the wild horses will become extinct. Currently, there are aprox 75,000 wild horses roaming the wilds of America. Personally, I find that many of the "animal rights activists" are just plain hysterical.

In any event, few people realize that the horse, in North America became extinct at the end of the last ice age, (15,000 B.C). By the time that Native Americans arrived on the scene, there were no more horses left.

It was not until the Spanish Conquistadors arrived, in the 16th century, that some horses escaped and became wild.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon

28-02-2020, 03:49 PM

75,000 now maybe, that is all over the wild areas of America, which is a vast area anyway, but some are too old to breed, other mares have been given contraceptive treatments so they don't have foals, other young horses removed from herds leaving no sustainable gene pool. If allowed to carry on there will be no more wild horses & the horses also provide tourism which in turn helps the economy.
bakerman
Mexico

28-02-2020, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
75,000 now maybe, that is all over the wild areas of America, which is a vast area anyway, but some are too old to breed, other mares have been given contraceptive treatments so they don't have foals, other young horses removed from herds leaving no sustainable gene pool. If allowed to carry on there will be no more wild horses & the horses also provide tourism which in turn helps the economy.
It is very expensive to administer contraceptives, aprox $30 USD per horse. We, in America want to maintain healthy populations of wild animals. In order to do that there are hunting seasons for various animals, like the deer, elk, moose, antelope etc. No one, and I mean NO ONE wants to hunt the horse. Moreover, since there are not enough predators to control the populations of the horse, man MUST intervene.

As far as "horse tourism" is concerned there is no such thing. I have lived all over the western U.S. and spent a great deal of time in the wilds. I have never, ever, seen any wild horses. Not one.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top