Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2013, 08:10 PM

Witches.

IMO many of you seem to have the mind-set of the middle ages with your belief in reincarnation and ghosts. I am not taking the p**s but I am genuinely interested in how medieval your views really are. Do you believe that there are such people as witches ?
Nobaggage
Cornwall UK/ Carcassonne France
Nobaggage is female  Nobaggage has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2013, 08:15 PM

Re: Witches.

It depends what you mean by witch ? We have a lady down the road who advertises herself as a white witch and you can go to her to make potions and spells for you for what ever aliment or problem you have.
Ones dressed in black with big pots and black cats ... no I dont
AudreyII
USA
AudreyII is female  AudreyII has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2013, 08:17 PM

Well there is the Wiccan belief set.

1. We practice rites to attune ourselves with the natural rhythm of life forces marked by the phases of the Moon and the seasonal Quarters and Cross Quarters.

2. We recognize that our intelligence gives us a unique responsibility toward our environment. We seek to live in harmony with nature in ecological balance offering fulfillment to life and consciousness within an evolutionary concept.

3. We acknowledge a depth of power far greater than that apparent to the average person. Because it is far greater than ordinary it is sometimes called ‘supernatural’, but we see it as lying within that which is naturally potential to all.

4. We conceive of the Creative Power in the universe as manifesting through polarity – as masculine and feminine – and that this same Creative Power lies in all people and functions through the interaction of the masculine and the feminine. We value neither above the other knowing each to be supportive of the other. We value sex as pleasure as the symbol and embodiment of life, and as one of the sources of energy used in magical practice and religious worship.

5. We recognize both outer worlds and inner, or psychological worlds sometimes known as the Spiritual World, the Collective Unconsciousness, the Inner Planes etc – and we see in the interaction of these two dimensions the basis for paranormal phenomena and magical exercises. We neglect neither dimension for the other, seeing both as necessary for our fulfillment.

6. We do not recognize any authoritarian hierarchy, but do honor those who teach, respect those who share their greater knowledge and wisdom, and acknowledge those who have courageously given of themselves in leadership.

7. We see religion, magick and wisdom in living as being united in the way one views the world and lives within it – a world view and philosophy of life which we identify as Witchcraft – the Wiccan Way.

8. Calling oneself ‘Witch’ does not make a Witch – but neither does heredity itself, nor the collecting of titles, degrees and initiations. A Witch seek to control the forces within her/himself that make life possible in order to live wisely and without harm to others and in harmony with nature.

9. We believe in the affirmation and fulfillment of life in a continuation of evolution and development of consciousness giving meaning to the Universe we know and our personal role within it.

10.Our only animosity towards Christianity, or towards any other religion or philosophy of life, is to the extent that its institutions have claimed to be ‘the only way’ and have sought to deny freedom to others and to suppress other ways of religious practice and belief.

11. As American Witches, we are not threatened by debates on the history of the craft, the origins of various terms, the legitimacy of various aspects of different traditions. We are concerned with our present and our future.

12.We do not accept the concept of absolute evil, nor do we worship any entity known as ‘Satan’ or ‘the Devil’ as defined by Christian tradition. We do not seek power through the suffering of others, nor accept that personal benefit can be derived only by denial to another.

13.We believe that we should seek within Nature that which is contributory to our health and well-being.

http://www.controverscial.com/The%20...n%20Belief.htm
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2013, 08:17 PM

I'm beginning to think the believers are having a lot more fun than the non-believers, what with séances, ghost hunting in supposedly haunted homes, midnight rituals etc. I might well convert as a consequence . Come to think of it no I won't. For one thing I might not believe but I sure would get scared. Bit of a contradiction I know but what is wrong with these people? Sheesh, I can't even watch horror films on my own .
AudreyII
USA
AudreyII is female  AudreyII has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2013, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by MKJ ->
I'm beginning to think the believers are having a lot more fun than the non-believers, what with séances, ghost hunting in supposedly haunted homes, midnight rituals etc. I might well convert as a consequence . Come to think of it no I won't. For one thing I might not believe but I sure would get scared. Bit of a contradiction I know but what is wrong with these people? Sheesh, I can't even watch horror films on my own .
Come to the dark side... we have cookies..

Seriously.. the Wiccan religion.. or practice is becoming more popular. I know several people who practice the belief... and they don't ride brooms and cackle. They celebrate the natural world and the solstices are holidays.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2013, 08:34 PM

Many of the things you believe in Audrey I also believe in, particularly working with nature, but the supernatural stuff is not for me.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2013, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by AudreyII ->
Come to the dark side... we have cookies..

Seriously.. the Wiccan religion.. or practice is becoming more popular. I know several people who practice the belief... and they don't ride brooms and cackle. They celebrate the natural world and the solstices are holidays.
Quite an attractive view on life, fairly relaxing for some reason.

I think I rebel so much against anything that isn't proven owing to the type of mindset I have, which appears to swing fully to logical mode when arguing a point or even considering a point. To prevaricate or to allow my mind to wander doesn't get the job done with regard to coding - fixing computers - fixing cars - fixing anything in fact. When I fix computers for people I have to control their minds in a lot of cases so that they focus on what they need to focus on. This approach extends to nearly everything I do in that I focus on what is important in a practical way. Whereas with this airy fairy stuff there isn't anything to focus on at all. Just pie in the sky stuff. Still it seems to delight lots of people and provides much needed support for whatever quandary they have found themselves in. Interesting but bloody annoying to the likes of me.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2013, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
IMO many of you seem to have the mind-set of the middle ages with your belief in reincarnation and ghosts. I am not taking the p**s but I am genuinely interested in how medieval your views really are. Do you believe that there are such people as witches ?
For many, including me, it isn't a case of belief, as such, but more a case of not being sure enough that some things, just because we are not aware of, or can prove one way or the other, don't, by definition, exist.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK

17-09-2013, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by ben-varrey ->
For many, including me, it isn't a case of belief, as such, but more a case of not being sure enough that some things, just because we are not aware of, or can prove one way or the other, don't, by definition, exist.
Are you saying that you are sitting on the fence Karen ?
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2013, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
Are you saying that you are sitting on the fence Karen ?
Moi

It isn't possible to make a decision with insufficient evidence one way or the other.

Reading the posts about past lives possibly leaving an impression on or in buildings, it made me think of Optography (the last image remaining on the retina of a deceased person); that has been discounted so many times and written off as hokum yet the science world continues to try and prove it exists (small amount of success with rabbits and small animals). Now, I believe that when technology allows, optography may well become fact - it's the fact that a notion is persistent with small events to reinforce it that stops me from dismissing it in its entirety. I don't know if that's sitting on the fence or just reserving judgement until I have more facts.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top