Join for free
Page 50 of 79 « First < 40 48 49 50 51 52 60 > Last »
Joan
Queensland Australia
Joan is female  Joan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2011, 10:43 PM

Re: What do you remember???

Talk of balsa wood and glue reminds me of the kites we used to make - just a wooden cross shape, sometimes from balsa wood, brown paper and string with a tail of string decorated with colourful sweet wrappers. We'd fly them 'down't fields' whenever we got a chance. Of course, the string came from the woollen mill where dad worked - spindle band he called it. Come to think of it, he made us skipping ropes with spindle handles and rope from the mill!!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2011, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by Joan ->
I remember getting the words Exodus and Oxydol mixed up in a religion lesson at junior school. I guess it would have given those ancient Israelites a clean escape, but the teacher was not amused.

My maiden name was Gibbs, and that was the main, or perhaps only, toothpaste brand in post war Britain, so of course my nickname was toothpaste. (These days it would have to be Steradent)
Hi Joan was that in Aus . I remember Oxydol, did they have the same products as we have here or were you raised in the UK ?
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2011, 11:27 PM

Meg, we had Oxydol here in the States .....
Joan
Queensland Australia
Joan is female  Joan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2011, 11:51 PM

I was raised in Yorkshire and still have my accent!!
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2011, 07:55 AM

'Airfix' plastic kits when I was a kid - made a whole fleet of battleships Bismarck, Scharnhorst, KG5, Hood, Victorious all of which used to stand on the top of the pelmets in the lounge until Dragon (my Mother) went dusting and managed to knock bits off of them or knock them down and they would break as they hit the floor. Also had a an air fleet too, Spitfire, ME109, Me 110, Stuka, JU88, Fairy Gannet, Swordfish, Sea Vixen.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2011, 10:35 AM

Hi Joan sorry yes I see that now looking back on your introduction post. Do you miss Yorkshire, I guess you have your memories which will aways remain with your accent

(Perhaps you can start a thread telling us about the differences).
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2011, 10:55 AM

Joan darlin' - for a short while (18 months) I had a job and an apartment in West Yorkshire - in Batley - was that anywhere near where you used to live???
Joan
Queensland Australia

13-07-2011, 11:15 AM

Hi Meg and Uncle Joe,
I certainly miss Yorkshire, especially cycling and hiking in the Dales, not to mention decent fish n chips and the lovely pubs.
I married a Batley lad: he was in the Royal Navy at the time. I'm from Mirfield myself, a short bike ride from Batley. We grew up around the dark satanic mills, but now, daft as a brush, I miss the things, though many are gone, and others gentrified in various ways.
Australia is a good place to live - there is no doubt about that, and our two sons are happy and are doing well in life: it was for them that we came here - as far away from Thatcher as we could get, in 1979.
I watch in horror as Cameron out-Thatchers Thatcher, though Britain does not have the monopoly on awful politicians: we've got our share here!
Comparisons between the two countries might be interesting - I'll have a think about that.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK

13-07-2011, 11:27 AM

Joan darlin' not too far away from where I now live is a 'Tank' museum - they have renovated a Russian T34 and its now in full working order. Wanna borrow it????
Jean
Northern ireland
Jean is female  Jean has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2011, 12:05 PM

wagon wheels, when they were the proper size, not the small ones you get now in a packet!

Page 50 of 79 « First < 40 48 49 50 51 52 60 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top