Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-11-2011, 08:01 PM

Re: Bonfire night

Hi John being a miserable old so-and-so I will be giving the whole 'bonfire-night thing ' a miss and will instead be enjoying an evening meal of aged on the bone sirloin scottish beef roasted with vegetables and yorkshire puddings and a lovely bottle of cabernet sauvignon while I watch the dancing on BBC 1 .
maryl
UK
maryl is female  maryl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-11-2011, 08:24 PM

Sounds great Meg, can I come and join you? We were supposed to be going to the school fireworks tonight but they've cancelled it, possibly tomorrow.
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada
Annie Jack is female  Annie Jack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-11-2011, 08:37 PM

Question from across the pond: what's bonfire night about?
aitch
Wigan
aitch is male  aitch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-11-2011, 08:56 PM

Its to celebrate when a group of men attempted to blow up the government, led by one Guido Fawkes, they didnt succeed, but at present here in dear owd wiggin, its hommerin down and there are bonfires lit and fireworks going off aplenty, although November 5th is the day in question, so there will be celebrations tomorrow as well as sunday, better than some telly progrmmes to watch
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-11-2011, 11:16 PM

Have a good time Jim...

I will be here with all windows and curtains closed and TV on to drown out the noise-good night on TV Saturday anyway
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-11-2011, 12:12 AM

As Aitch said, it's been hammering down tonight so the unlit bonfires will be soaking.

Guido Fawkes has a lot to answer for!

Over the years, I've had mixed emotions from my cats. Some being petrified, and others loving them. I think I said this in another similar thread that I used to watch the fireworks over Manchester and Bolton from my landing window with my little lady, Pepsi. Her brother however were disenchanted, but the only brother who survives, Casey, can't hear them now he's deaf.

However, Billie has found a hidey-hole in my kitchen as the poor lad is terrified.

It will now go on until New Year's Eve when the British, for some reason, has found yet another American excuse for fireworks. I don't mind 5 November and 31 December. It's the bit in between I object to, for the sake of the poor animals.
marpaul
North Cumbria
marpaul is female  marpaul has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-11-2011, 12:25 AM

Very strange but didn't hear any fireworks in the village tonight, most unusual. Perhaps they all went to Carlisle to the free display there. So had a very relaxed cat Might be a different story tomorrow though!
Joan
Queensland Australia
Joan is female  Joan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-11-2011, 09:39 AM

I miss bonfire night here is Australia. It got banned years ago, apparently.

I loved the fireworks back in West Yorkshire, and remember buying my own, with a little bit of money Mum would give me. Usually i got Roman candles and Catherine wheels, and if I had enough money, a Mount Versuvius. My brothers got bangers, jumping crackers and rockets. We usually had our own bonfire in the garden, but sometimes we'd go a street bonfire. I loved the toffee, parkin, and pie n peas, washed down with dandelion and burdock (much nicer than today's coca cola)

Chumping, ie collecting wood, would have gone of for the past month at least, and as we had a flat roofed outhouse they would be stored there, safe from other kids raiding them.

I remember the atmosphere - cold damp November nights, but full of the promise of fun. Slopping through the mud in my wellies, wrapped up the eyeballs in woolly jumpers and my school gabardine.

All nostalgia of course - if I was back in England I'd probably be curled up in front of the telly with a glass of wine,
Lynne55
Lancs.
Lynne55 is female  Lynne55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-11-2011, 12:20 PM

I used to live in a tiny village in North Wales when I was younger. On Bonfire night the local milkman who had his own farm a couple of miles away(with Jersey cows) used to put a bonfire on for us kids. We used to bring our own bits of fireworks. Couldnt afford many but with a few of us it mounted up. Before we walked up there we used to get a Baked Bean tin , nail it to a stout stick, wrap some sacking up & put it in the tin - soak it in paraffin & light it ( imagine being allowed to do that now!!)
We would then all walk up to the farm with our "Torches". After the bonfire & the fireworks had all been lit we would put potatoes in the embers & go into the farm house for cakes & a drink while the potatoes cooked.
Later we would all walk home eating the baked potatoes. They always tasted nicer done like that By then the torches had gone out though so it was pitch dark.
marpaul
North Cumbria
marpaul is female  marpaul has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-11-2011, 01:38 PM

Ah sounds like the good old days ...

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top