Join for free
Page 5 of 6 « First < 3 4 5 6 >
Joan
Queensland Australia
Joan is female  Joan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2011, 01:14 AM

Re: Foreign Languages?

Originally Posted by june1958 ->
I speak a foreign language, Lancashire lol Well, my husband thinks so but he comes from down the South - so it may be him that speaks a foreign language, we certainly have to explain things sometimes!!

June x
You'll have to teach him the whole Lancashire dialect, June!
Or make him watch Coronation Street till he gets it right! We northerners have a duty to release our Southern friends and relations from the constraints of their linguistic deprivations!
claireandaisy
Essex
claireandaisy is female  claireandaisy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2011, 12:26 PM

Have you seen that on some US TV, anyone with a non-american accent is subtitled!
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2011, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by claireandaisy ->
Have you seen that on some US TV, anyone with a non-american accent is subtitled!
???? Not on broadcast TV! I don't have cable.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2011, 06:04 PM

Many years ago I worked with a cockney and was, at the time, married to a geordie lass. When the two met neither could understand the other, and I had to translate for both!

So much for the English language.
Troopie
Adelaide, Australia
Troopie is female  Troopie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2011, 03:41 AM

They teach Indonesian in most schools here. I think it's because we are so close to Asia, obviously. It drives me nuts. My youngest takes private french lessons in town. My oldest son lives in Canada and is married to a french/canadian lass. Lovely girl. My dastedly master plan is when the youngest is old enough and knows enough french, I am going to ship her off to live with her brother for a few years. Some call it a cultural exchange. I call it pay back for years of heck from the oldest.
Joan
Queensland Australia
Joan is female  Joan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2011, 04:44 AM

See - told ya there's loads of advantages to learning foreign languages.!!
bobmielke
Portland, OR
bobmielke is male  bobmielke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2011, 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by dandysmom ->
???? Not on broadcast TV! I don't have cable.
You don't need cable! Check out www.hulu.com for free cable tv shows, movies & all sorts of free stuff. Best thing since sliced bread. For free music check out www.pandora.com.
Grouse
planet earth
Grouse is male  Grouse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2013, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by uk sandra ->
I`m a geordie. We don`t speak English.
Actually we do, pure Geordie dialect is said to be near 70% Anglo Saxon, rest of the country is nearer 30%, dont know what that makes American accent.
uk sandra
Gateshead UK
uk sandra is female 

13-04-2013, 09:45 PM

That`s good to know. I don`t know what the rest of the country will think but I`m impressed.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2013, 05:04 AM

I did French at School, but haven't used it since....so would be lost now. My Dad started to teach me Scottish Gaelic when I was wee as it was spoken in the Islands where we came from. But would also be lost now with a fluent speaker as I've only retained bits here and there. Always meant to relearn it but just never got around to it.

Page 5 of 6 « First < 3 4 5 6 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top