Join for free
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2021, 11:57 AM

Re: University Days.

Me? I went up to university (NEVER 'uni') as much to rebel against what my parents wanted me to do as anything. I read physics (to further piss them off!) because being maths heavy it was easy. Mostly I coasted because it was so easy - except for Xray crystallography which for me took effort. However it was extramural activities were most of my attentions lay!
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2021, 12:00 PM

Me, I’m as thick as a brick,😂🤣....but admire those who slogged it out at university....my son was one of them....

He had a great education and it shows when he speaks...but it doesn’t define him as a person.😃

I have always looked at the heart of a person, not the education.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2021, 12:03 PM

Good posts Realspeed....
However, I think you and keezoy are both right.
For the academically minded as in Keezoy and Surfermom's case, universities are completely the right place to go. For most school leavers here it is considered a right of passage and just postpones the day when they will become a useful addition to society.

By the time students leave uni I would have been earning a living for seven years and paying tax as an apprentice. I attended a college one day a week where I obtained many qualifications in mechanical engineering, but almost all of my skill and experience came from the old skilled craftsmen and being thrust into the sometimes hectic and time sensitive world of manufacturing.

I don't know anyone (including family members) who have gained employment in the skills obtained at uni, such a waste of money, and they are starting out in their early twenties with virtually no experience of the working life, and consider themselves to be too well educated to accept work beneath them.

Universities have been the death of this country, no longer producing the tradesmen of old. We prefer to buy virtually all of our commodities from abroad, and the most of the Brickies, plumbers, joiners and engineers hail from foreign parts. And the best part is, all of the hard working skilled Polish that I know, didn't go to any uni....

This might be a hard pill to swallow, but the average school leaver are not destined to become psychologists, lecturers or astronomers, and their path through uni has been a waste of time and money, when they could have had four or five years experience training on the job. Obtaining a job - No matter how lowly it might seem, there have been many very successful entrepreneurs and business people who started at the bottom - should always come before further education. Unless it's just a hobby.
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2021, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
Keesey
Just to say I have done ok without further education at UNI. Not just in material things but on a personal level as well.
What you posted just shows how people who get a degree or two think they are cleverer than those that didn't go. With the business I had I would rather employ a person who knew the job hands on than some UNI Geek who doesn't have a clue.
Talk about snobbery !!!!!

OH by the way both my sons have got 1st class honours degrees and one is going for his masters. Just because I am anti doesn't mean I would stop them from following their careers

Infact one has not only been head hunted by big firms in the USA and Europe but also lectures on his particular subject

other son

Good on your sons. I'm sure you are very proud of them. BUt the rest of what you have just said is nonsense. Firstly I have no idea how well you have done in life. You say nothing about yourself on you profile so how would I know? And I made no reference to what you may or may not have achieved. I only commented on your generalisations about university students and your term "Layabouts". and other derogatory terms like "uni geek"...YOu don't seem to give a damn if I find that downright offensive. Also if you bothered to read any of my posts you would see that I am not a person who think they know it all. And you would see that I never underestimate anybody. I simply challenged you on what you yourself said. And are still saying. I didn't want to hear your whingeing about uni students anyway..The thread was for people who had been to uni to talk about their experiences..get it!?..YOu come along and start whining about how lazy uni students are and hijaking the thread to grandstand your opinion. That's what pissed me off. Go and whinge somewhere else or start your own thread about your complaints. Or..get on topic and talk about your own experiences learning and practising what you do know..
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2021, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by pauline3 ->
Me, I’m as thick as a brick,😂🤣....but admire those who slogged it out at university....my son was one of them....

He had a great education and it shows when he speaks...but it doesn’t define him as a person.😃
You mean he talks posh now Pauline ??
That often happens !!
I wonder why ??

Donkeyman! 👎🤔🤔👎
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2021, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
Me? I went up to university (NEVER 'uni') as much to rebel against what my parents wanted me to do as anything. I read physics (to further piss them off!) because being maths heavy it was easy. Mostly I coasted because it was so easy - except for Xray crystallography which for me took effort. However it was extramural activities were most of my attentions lay!
You must be a feather plucker Todgy ??

Donkeyman! 👍🤗🤗👍
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2021, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
l

This might be a hard pill to swallow, but the average school leaver are not destined to become psychologists, lecturers or astronomers, and their path through uni has been a waste of time and money, when they could have had four or five years experience training on the job. Obtaining a job - No matter how lowly it might seem, there have been many very successful entrepreneurs and business people who started at the bottom - should always come before further education. Unless it's just a hobby.
I agree Foxy. I knew someone who studied Marine Biology, and ended up working in Starbucks. Not belittling their choice of study, but at the end of the day...how to apply those skills in a coffee shop is beyond me.
I feel that schools should go back to teaching trades. I remember Joinery, Plumbing, Woodworking, etc being taught (for the boys, I might add), and Home Economics for the girls (how quaint), but quite a few went off to do the same at college, I believe.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2021, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
You mean he talks posh now Pauline ??
That often happens !!
I wonder why ??

Donkeyman! 👎🤔🤔👎

Not when he’s around me he don’t...😂🤣😅.....I keep him grounded,DM....

Speaking well, comes with his profession....he can hardly stand and say....alright then mate....😂🤣.....

When he’s with me,his common side comes out.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom

08-03-2021, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by keezoy ->
Good on your sons. I'm sure you are very proud of them. BUt the rest of what you have just said is nonsense. Firstly I have no idea how well you have done in life. You say nothing about yourself on you profile so how would I know? And I made no reference to what you may or may not have achieved. I only commented on your generalisations about university students and your term "Layabouts"..Also if you bothered to read any of my posts you would see that I am not a person who think they know it all. And you would see that I never underestimate anybody. I simply challenged yopu on what you yourself said. I didn't want to hear your whingeing about uni students anyway..The thread was for people who had been to uni to talk about their experiences..get it!?..YOu come along and start whining about how lazy uni students are and hijaking the thread to grandstand your opinion. That's what pissed me off. Go and whinge somewhere else or start your own thread about your complaints. Or..get on topic and talk about your own experiences.
Keezoy, you DID invite anybod to relate their experiences of their
further education on this thread ??
Imo you got what you asked for ??

Donkeyman! 🤔🤔🤔
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2021, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
Keezoy, you DID invite anybod to relate their experiences of their
further education on this thread ??
Imo you got what you asked for ??

Donkeyman! 🤔🤔🤔
Yes you are right DM..THat's exactly what I asked for THeir own experiences. What I didn't ask for was what I just said there. Somebody who hasn't experienced university life making sweeping statements about uni students. That's NOT what I asked for. I'm not sure what you think is wrong about that.?? Anyway my beef is with him not you. But if you want to elaborate..I'll listen.

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top