Join for free
Page 2 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2019, 02:16 PM

Re: Dispatches,Ch4 tonight ,Growing Up Poor

Originally Posted by Zuleika ->
Obviously you didn't watch the programme .
This was about children in different parts of the country talking about their lives when circumstances had reduced thuem to living in dire straits .

I've been poor ,hadn't a shilling for the gas meter at times but in these days no children ought to have to sleep in their coats because mum hasn't enough on her meter card to heat the home for instance .
It was heartbreakin
Not heartbreaking. Nostalgic. People for the most part have lost the self help ethic and replaced it with a sense of entitlement coupled with a loss of taking responsibility for their families.

Live in a cold damp house?

DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT.

Get a job if you've not got one, immigrants manage to. For that matter get TWO jobs.

There is always a way to make money - always.
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2019, 02:25 PM

BigBen yes I knew you were harking back to those on Benefits Street .
The Dispatches programme wasn't anything remotely like that.

I look forward to your comments after you've watched this .
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2019, 03:20 PM

Zuleika, I am sure there are genuine people in need in parts of this country but it doesn't help that some parents simply don't know how to help themselves first!

How many of them I wonder, get their benefit money, pop to the supermarket and buy their weekly shop to feed their families and the first things that go into the trolleys are piles of the kids favourite ready meals?

There is no reason at all that they should be doing this. If they are on benefits and obviously home all day, there is no excuse whatsoever that they shouldn't be utilising every penny they receive for a food shop, on providing fresh, nourishing and healthy food for their kids, and that means cooking from scratch, not buying crappy ready meals.

Without meaning to sound cliche, most people here had parents with kids in the 40's and 50's. A lot of our Mum's had one or even two part-time jobs to supplement Dad's full-time job, Mum had a job as a cleaner at a local school as well as a cleaner's job at the local tyre depot. Only a couple of hours a day at each, but that money was precious and put to good use with every penny spent wisely. Dad gave Mum an amount for housekeeping every week and that had to last until the next one. She once told me that if she ran out perhaps the day before, tough! she would never ask for more, she just had to plan meals ahead for seven days so that if she had no money left, she knew that we would all still eat well. I'm pretty sure the only ready thing we ever had in the house was Birds Custard, but meals were always served up to us seven kids freshly made every day.

The only treat I can recall when we were in school, was when Mum went to the baker and bought '8 of yesterday's iced buns' which he sold to her on the quiet for a penny each rather than throwing them away as he was meant to. My mum even used to walk to the local butcher and pay pennies for the ''Bacon Bones'' that they had boned from the Pigs and normally thrown away,(nowadays sold as spare ribs!!!) She would boil them up with a head of cabbage and a swede and would put a huge tureen of them on the table with huge Desiree Red Potatoes that had been scrubbed and boiled in their jackets. Dad would have a cup of the 'Cabbage Soup' that the bacon bones had been cooked in. There were masses of meat left on the bones after the butcher had boned them, and we loved that meal.
The box in the old pantry that contained vegetables was always absolutely full. I doubt if it's the same nowadays for many of those claiming poverty?

So, it stands to reason that people are classed as destitute and dirt poor because many of them have never taken the time or had the inclination to learn how to cook fresh meals! The money saved would be half of what they must spend on ready-meals.

What do these Mum's do with themselves all day?
big ben
United Kingdom
big ben is male  big ben has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2019, 03:38 PM

I have just watched this programme and it raises a question. Why are we still insisting on giving money away in 'foreign aid' to countries that either do not need it or to those that do not spend it on what it was intended for. For instance, Thousands of pounds given as sponsorship to an Ethiopian girls band, Thousands given to the Chinese to help them give up smoking, Thousands to an African country (Can,t recall which one) for school ballet lessons.
None of these MPs know what poverty is. If they want a new pair of shoes, put it down to expenses the tax payer will pay for it.
We, every one of us have to give a huge thank you to those wonderful people who run these food banks. Where would we be without them.
I do however have one criticism. Where do the men pleading poverty get the money to cover their bodies in tattoos? Surely the children,s stomachs should have come first.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2019, 03:58 PM

Did anyone watch this ?
https://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/new...amily-17353055
Truly heartbreaking for these children to be subjected to worry and anxiety ,supporting parents who havn’t got the money to put food on the table without resorting to food banks , having to go months in winter sleeping in their coats because there’s no money for the gas and electric ,
Shameful that the Cambridge family have to move all the way up to Hull because it’s cheaper .
Thank goodness there’s programmes like this highlighting the plight of innocents . They will be old before their time as some comments say.
With regards to speeping in overcoats Zuleika, because they have
no money for for power or fuel, it is absolutely not necassary to
run the heating all night long or indeed not at all?
I have never in my life used heating heating during the nights, and
we even have the bedroom window open a little as well, and l am
83 yrs old now!
Maybe over use of heating is one of the causes of the poverty?
We only use heating after 4pm and turn it off before 10 pm!
If you havent got extra duvets put some coats over the bed like
my mum used to do? People might find there is more money for
other things then.

Regards Donkeyman!
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2019, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by big ben ->
I have just watched this programme and it raises a question. Why are we still insisting on giving money away in 'foreign aid' to countries that either do not need it or to those that do not spend it on what it was intended for. For instance, Thousands of pounds given as sponsorship to an Ethiopian girls band, Thousands given to the Chinese to help them give up smoking, Thousands to an African country (Can,t recall which one) for school ballet lessons.
None of these MPs know what poverty is. If they want a new pair of shoes, put it down to expenses the tax payer will pay for it.
We, every one of us have to give a huge thank you to those wonderful people who run these food banks. Where would we be without them.
I do however have one criticism. Where do the men pleading poverty get the money to cover their bodies in tattoos? Surely the children,s stomachs should have come first.

You make some good points BB, especially the foreign aid, also
on the tattooing isue, which is not limited to the men either?
However think a lot of them got tattooed before they had kids?
Maybe as a form of mating aid?
Regards Donieyman!
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2019, 05:31 PM

Thanks for responses but you still don't appear to be getting what the programme was about .
In the Cambridge story it was about the ridiculous amount of weeks claimants are having to wait for the now notoriously known Universal Credit payment benefit which led to mum having to visit the foodbanks . Did you think it right that her and the children had to walk two and half miles there and back with the bags because they didn't have bus fare money?
This was a family fleeing from abuse too .
big ben
United Kingdom
big ben is male  big ben has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2019, 05:41 PM

Zuleika.
I think perhaps I was watching a different programme to you. I was watching something called Britain,s hidden hunger. If it was the same programme then what I saw was a shortened version.
Zuleika
North West UK

03-12-2019, 06:07 PM

Big Ben the title of last night's Channel 4 programme I clearly stated as the thread topic
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2019, 06:31 PM

Thanks for responses but you still don't appear to be getting what the programme was about .
In the Cambridge story it was about the ridiculous amount of weeks claimants are having to wait for the now notoriously known Universal Credit payment benefit which led to mum having to visit the foodbanks . Did you think it right that her and the children had to walk two and half miles there and back with the bags because they didn't have bus fare money?
This was a family fleeing from abuse too .
Aren't they getting all that back payment,that they are owed?

As for walking two and a half miles to the food bank...it will do them good a bit of exercise..they aren't the only ones who have fled from abuse....

I can not see your point,Zuleka...apart from their universal credit dilemma,I'm not being awkward...I can't see any hardship there at all.

Now if they were on the streets..that would be different story.

Her sons bedroom was a mess as well.she could have given that a good clean..plus her daughter seemed to be playing the role of mother.

Page 2 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top