Join for free
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2013, 01:47 PM

Re: Which childhood book made you look at life differently?

I used to love the Enid Blyton books, to me there were none better. I also like reading the Lucy Atwell annuals ....anyone remember them?

When my granddaughter was about 7/8, I bought her a set of Enid Blyton books .....primarily as I enjoyed them so much during my childhood. However... she didn't like them and couldn't get into the stories mainly because they were still written as in the 40/50s. Our language has changed so much over the years that the books were very dated to her and didn't hold her attention .... even my daughter said the same.
I suppose it was a bit like me trying to get my head around Shakespeare when I was that age.
Psmith
melbourne australia
Psmith is male  Psmith has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2019, 12:10 AM

Saw a copy of the first book that ever really interested me ,in a charity shop yesterday."Horton Hatches The Egg." I was tempted to buy it but thought it would be better for some spotty kid to discover it
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2019, 02:32 AM

Originally Posted by spinner ->
'Black Beauty', oh I never have got over Ginger's death...
'Call of the wild' and 'White Fang' both amazing windows into another world
'Animal Farm' I still get tearful about Boxer being taken away
Rosemary Sutcliffe's many historical novels, all brilliant
You are my sister by another mother !
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2019, 02:36 AM

Somewhat older
Wuthering Heights
Couldn't help being slightly in love with that psychopath Heathcliff !
Psmith
melbourne australia
Psmith is male  Psmith has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2019, 02:56 AM

I always thought he was a right pain in the neck.

I had a book in my pocket all the time and so did my mates at one time.No phones to stare at then.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2019, 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by MickB ->
I was a bit of a mixed bag as a child. On the one hand I was incredibly active and loved sport and anything in the outdoors. On the other hand, if I was indoors, I was either building something with my Meccano set or I had my head buried in a book. Lots of books were influential for me - Jack London's novels stimulated my love for the outdoors, the frozen north, huskies and social justice; Richmal Crompton's "Just William" novels helped develop my sense of humour and lack of respect for "authority"; John Wyndham's science fiction novels opened up the scary world of the unknown. Probably the most influential of all however, was an old set of Encyclopaedia Brittanica which my parents picked up for next to nothing from a jumble sale - I would spend hour upon hour browsing random topics and learning, second hand, about our amazing world. Those old encyclopaedias were like a treasure trove of knowledge - something I have never tired of.
With you on all of that.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2019, 05:35 AM

Starting with Rupert Bear then White Gang and Black Beauty moving onto Wuthering Hieghts.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2019, 08:32 AM

My first novel was 'Ivanhoe' (Sir Walter Scott), a Christmas gift from an Aunt. I thought it was wonderful and was convinced Ivanhoe should have married Rebecca instead of Rowena. Four weeks later the same Aunt gave me 'The Hobbit' (Tolkien) for my 5th birthday - and I have been hooked on Tolkien ever since. Was quite indignant when our library would not let me take out 'Lord of the Rings' because it was in the adult section - had to drag my Dad there to sign it out for me!

I love books, read very fast, and lose all track of time when I am reading.
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-03-2019, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
As a young child both 'The Water Babies' and 'Black Beauty' affected me greatly .

Also as child growing up in the Derbyshire Dales Alison Uttly's 'The Country Child' had a special meaning knowing she grew up in the same area and shared many similar experiences.
I cried myself to sleep after the death of Ginger in Black Beauty.
big ben
United Kingdom
big ben is male  big ben has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-03-2019, 09:26 PM

I love reading and am a real bookworm. As a child my favorite books were Robinson Crusoe and the Swiss Family Robinson and Children of the New Forest. I remember one book and aunt bought me one Christmas and I read it so many times I knew it off by heart it was called King of the Golden River.
My choice these days are mostly of country life in the Edwardian/Victorian times, particularly farming life. I have read several novels by Mary Pearce and if you have read any of her books then you will know my type of reading.
A good book beats the telly any time.

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top