Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2019, 07:52 PM

Re: Anyone found a book?

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I have seen a few old phoneboxes in the area that have become book exchanges , they seem to have survived the vandals.

That's a good idea for the bus shelter Sue there are sheep in ours.
No, don't tell me – they all have free bus passes and are waiting for the next bus!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2019, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
No, don't tell me – they all have free bus passes and are waiting for the next bus!
No Baz we haven't had busses here since the 70's. The shelter is on common land where sheep roam.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2019, 08:03 PM

No Baz we haven't had busses here since the 70's. The shelter is on common land where sheep roam.
Oh I see, sorry but I didn't know that and couldn't resist putting my initial thought on screen.

We have buses here, one out in the morning and one back early evening. Tough if anyone doesn't want a whole day out just to visit the GP at the Health Centre in the next village!
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2019, 08:10 PM

I thought you'd lost a book and was asking us if we'd found it at first LOL

I've not heard of this before but it does sound a nice, positive idea
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2019, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
I thought you'd lost a book and was asking us if we'd found it at first LOL

I've not heard of this before but it does sound a nice, positive idea
....Yes it does look like that LQ .
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2019, 09:51 PM

I have heard and seen this. People can leave books on any form of transport. I believe that they can leave a message on a blank page in the book explaining how to pass it on after it has been read.
Further along my road in a front garden is the ‘signal box’ that has books in it, People can take a book or leave one in it.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire

29-07-2019, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by Emjay ->
I have heard and seen this. People can leave books on any form of transport. I believe that they can leave a message on a blank page in the book explaining how to pass it on after it has been read.
Further along my road in a front garden is the ‘signal box’ that has books in it, People can take a book or leave one in it.
Emjay perhaps the books are all over the place then and I just 'don't get out enough' ...
John
Eastleigh Hampshire
John is male  John has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2019, 11:57 PM

ST I hade never heard of it and a field full of sheep in the Worcestershire countryside seems an odd place to leave a book.
Even sheep like to read a good book Meg!

Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2019, 05:23 AM

I was in the other room just this afternoon and what a surprise I had when suddenly I found a book on my bookshelf. What's more, it was amongst a whole lot of other books. It's so nice when you can find a book.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2019, 05:41 AM

I have just been for a walk with Chloe across the fields and tied to a gatepost was a book in a plastic cover by Bill Bryson with a note saying ''A free book for you''.
I thought at first it was some kind of joke

Further inspection revealed it had been placed there by someone belonging to 'Book Crossing.com'...

I left the book for someone else to find , it looks a nice idea though.

I wondered if anyone else had found one .
That's interesting, I haven't heard of that one before; there are a couple of houses in my vicinity that have built little book exchange boxes on their fence line. The local shopping mall even has a place for such book swaps.

I think it is a great idea, if a bit random.

It is funny that at one time one used to collect books and had shelves of books all over the house but now it seems that you read a book then swap or give it away. Certainly my house is down to a few dozen books at the most with the majority of them being rarely opened reference books such as dictionaries, atlases and computer books.

Only my collection of Terry Pratchett hardbacks is sacred.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top