Join for free
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 > Last »
Les
Belfast - Northern Ireland
Les is male  Les has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2012, 10:54 AM

Sciatica

Does anyone know of anything that works for them to relieve the pain?
Alicat
West Berkshire
Alicat is female  Alicat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2012, 11:35 AM

Re: Sciatica

Hello Les,

Sorry you're suffering with Sciatica, husband suffers with it down his leg and he hasn't found anything yet to relieve it. The doctor gave him Naproxen to take (strong painkillers) but they didn't help either. I think it's where the dog pulls so much on the lead when he takes her out for a walk. I think his is a trapped nerve that causes Sciatica.

Sorry I'm not much help, maybe someone else can give you more help. Good luck anyway.
Cassie
West Wales
Cassie is female  Cassie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2012, 02:11 PM

I have secondary sciatica which means the nerve gets pinched due to another condition that I have called spondylosis. I have a cocktail of 3 prescribed painkillers and also I have steroid injections every 3months. It doesn't completely remove the pain but it helps.
Les
Belfast - Northern Ireland
Les is male  Les has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2012, 02:14 PM

Its trying to get asleep at night is the worst for me - how on earth are you supposed to get comfortable with the constant pain?
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2012, 05:10 PM

You have my sympathy Les. Like Cassie, I also have sciatica down my right side and leg because of a spinal condition which has become degenerative as I have got older. What Cassie says seems to be all that can be done (apart from maybe surgery for me). Sometimes I can move the sciatica off a bit by keeping moving or going for a walk, although I seem to have go through a pain barrier before it helps. Try sleeping with a pillow between your knees at night - that sometimes helps. Some painkillers work better for individuals than others, so finding one which works for you could also help. Best thing is to see your doctor. I hope someone will come along with some more ideas to help.
Cassie
West Wales
Cassie is female  Cassie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2012, 06:10 PM

They are trying to convince me that they can fuse some vertebrae together!! I have 2 friends who have had it and they are worse than they were before..Im not liking the thought of more surgery!!
suey
Shropshire
suey is female  suey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2012, 08:06 PM

My husband has Spinal Stenosis he lives on Painkillers but the thing that helps him sleep is Lavender oil have some massaged into your lower back and legs before you go to bed and I think it may help as it relaxes you and maybe might help you to sleep
I mix about 5ml base oil and 10 drops of pure lavender oil into it and just massage it into the areas needed till it is all absorbed..
Hope this helps ....Sue
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2012, 07:08 AM

Stretching the back vertically helps to relieve the pain and over time stops it.

Just before you go to bed have a soak in a hot bath, it relaxes the muscles and helps with sleeping.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2012, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by Les ->
Its trying to get asleep at night is the worst for me - how on earth are you supposed to get comfortable with the constant pain?
Les matey, I have a lot of Arthritis and know a fair bit about pain. If you can get your GP to prescribe it for you - I find Oromorph (liquid Morphine) always helps when the pain is REALLY bad, but in between that have a supply of ZAPAIN - generically known as Co-codomol. If you can get some Oromorph, take that at four-hourly intervals and intersperse that with the co-codomol also at four-hourly intervals 2 hours apart.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2012, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Les matey, I have a lot of Arthritis and know a fair bit about pain. If you can get your GP to prescribe it for you - I find Oromorph (liquid Morphine) always helps when the pain is REALLY bad, but in between that have a supply of ZAPAIN - generically known as Co-codomol. If you can get some Oromorph, take that at four-hourly intervals and intersperse that with the co-codomol also at four-hourly intervals 2 hours apart.
I take co-codomol for my back pain, I'm supposed to take two at a time but they make me feel very nauseous so I make do with one.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top