Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
vivity
Perth Western Australia
vivity is female  vivity has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2013, 01:09 PM

Re: Lawns

Please tell me what or how do you scarify a lawn?
mI know I am awfully ignorant all I do is cut and water it and mowing to day thought I had better use some weed killer as I have plenty of weeds but then I am going to have lots of patches of bare black sand at least the weeds look green. I am being quite serious just fed up with trying to keep it alive.
billsteamshovel
Rural Australia
billsteamshovel is male 

09-09-2013, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by Janela ->
I did a search for a thread about lawns but couldn't find one.

We've been told to feed our lawn with fish blood and bone but have no idea of quantity per sq. yard. I've searched for it but quantities are confusing
Anyone know?
Thanks, Jan
Hello Janela,where i live in Australia we have a lot of trouble with drought and soil quality,i have a lawn growing virtually on sand!
I use Nitrosol,its about $9 Australian for a small bottle,i mix it i cap to 10 litres of water and put it on by hand,my lawn is about 50x50 and i bottle done it,a bit of work but keep you fit,it works too!

Regards Billy
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2013, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by vivity ->
Please tell me what or how do you scarify a lawn?
mI know I am awfully ignorant all I do is cut and water it and mowing to day thought I had better use some weed killer as I have plenty of weeds but then I am going to have lots of patches of bare black sand at least the weeds look green. I am being quite serious just fed up with trying to keep it alive.
Hi Vivity, scarifying a lawn means to give it a good raking to remove all of the dead grass, moss and anything else that is gumming up the works. This procedure helps to aerate the surface and allow better drainage, which in turn allows the grass to thicken and grow stronger. It can be done by hand using a wire rake, or a machine called a scarifier can be used to do the job if the lawn is big enough.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2013, 02:53 PM

My neighbour has a lovely lawn, she used 'Weed and Feed' by
Scotts Miracle-Gro.
I don't use anything and have lots of daisies, plantain and the odd dandelion among the moss
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2013, 03:35 PM

I did a search for a thread about lawns but couldn't find one.

We've been told to feed our lawn with fish blood and bone but have no idea of quantity per sq. yard. I've searched for it but quantities are confusing
I never feed my lawn, it is bad enough having to cut it without encouraging it.

The only thing a do is spray it for clover and bindis (nasty little sharp spiky seeds that stick in your foot and hurt like hell - you are not an Aussie if you are not more worried by bindis than snakes or spiders)

billsteamshovel
Rural Australia
billsteamshovel is male 

10-09-2013, 01:28 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
I never feed my lawn, it is bad enough having to cut it without encouraging it.

The only thing a do is spray it for clover and bindis (nasty little sharp spiky seeds that stick in your foot and hurt like hell - you are not an Aussie if you are not more worried by bindis than snakes or spiders)

I don't know about that Bruce?
I don't get bindis,I get caltrop and the spikes on the fruit are a bloody nuisance,i hate them,they are endemic in WA,and believe me i am more worried about snakes in my yard than bindis!
I had a 4 foot Guarda crawl under my house in February,as far as i know its still there,I will kill any snake around the house,there were 7 dogs bitten last summer in my town,Guarda and Tiger snakes were identified as the culprits.

Billy
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2013, 09:02 AM

Good grief, I'd hate to have to worry about snakes or spiders!
All hubby wants is a lawn like a bowling green! and the weeds you describe, I think he'd have nightmares.
billsteamshovel
Rural Australia
billsteamshovel is male 

10-09-2013, 10:30 AM

Good grief, I'd hate to have to worry about snakes or spiders!
All hubby wants is a lawn like a bowling green! and the weeds you describe, I think he'd have nightmares.
How about astro turf Janela! lol.

Depending on where you live in Australia you can have different species of insects and reptiles,where i am Tiger snakes are the go,they are nasty things too,they will attack,they are an aggresive snake,now they are coming out of winter,they are ravenous and very horny,their poison sacs are really full too,some people never see snakes here,i moved to WA in 2007 and saw my first snake (live) 2 years ago,they hear you coming and move away,but in Sydney in the Blue Mountains we had Brown snakes and funnel web spiders,usually if you stand still a Black or Brown would just go past you,you are too big to eat,i have had them crawl over my bare feet at the clothes line,freaks you out a bit though.

Billy

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top