Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2013, 07:20 PM

Strawberries

Disappointed by the strawberries I planted a couple of years ago Cambridge Favourite (although to be fair they were planted in partial shade and had two bad summers) I have now gone for a perpetual variety ''Mara Des Bois''.
The plants arrived last week in tip top condition from a company called Ken Muir and have been planted in tubs and have taken well .

I will report next year on the flavour, they are supposed to taste like woodland strawberries with the size of a garden variety.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2013, 07:44 PM

Re: Strawberries

I'm giving up on strawberries Meg after two disastrous seasons, although for some reason I have never had a lot of success with them at any time.
It will be interesting though to hear how you get on with the new variety, so please be sure to keep us informed.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2013, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by plantman ->
I'm giving up on strawberries Meg after two disastrous seasons, although for some reason I have never had a lot of success with them at any time.
It will be interesting though to hear how you get on with the new variety, so please be sure to keep us informed.
I will Barry the ones I replanted in tubs last year had a few fruits this year and the children (and Chloe ) loved them . I fear I planted too many plants in each tub not wanting to throw them away.

I have bought the best compost and farm yard manure for this lot and only have two plants per long trough planter so we will see what happens.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2013, 02:16 PM

I seem to have done ok with strawberries, they were in shade i'm afraid but we had quite a few fruits. They were new plants from runners of a very old strawberry .. we've had it years!
Hubby has been toying with hanging basket variety.
Good luck with yours Meg, look forward to hearing how you get on
shirley
Gloucestershire
shirley is female  shirley has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2013, 04:56 PM

Two years ago we had a bumper crop of strawberries, this year has been bad and last year was appalling.

I have given up easier to buy from the farm shop
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2013, 05:56 PM

You and I both Shirley....
AudreyII
USA
AudreyII is female  AudreyII has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2013, 12:20 PM

Never heard of any other varieties other than Everbearing and June Bearing. I have planted Strawberries outside my kitchen door and they just took over the whole area.. They were almost a nuisance.. But then again, I'm not bonkers over Strawberries anyway. If I want some... I'm just going to buy them.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire

13-08-2013, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by AudreyII ->
Never heard of any other varieties other than Everbearing and June Bearing. I have planted Strawberries outside my kitchen door and they just took over the whole area.. They were almost a nuisance.. But then again, I'm not bonkers over Strawberries anyway. If I want some... I'm just going to buy them.
Audrey it is becoming almost impossible to buy decent tasting strawberries here, the ubiquitous 'Elsanta' is taking over because it is a variety which crops and travels well apparently.
Even the remaining small number of Pick Your Own farms seem to have adopted this variety and the use of pollytunnels .

If you want decent tasting fruit you grow your own. I have been growing 'Cambridge Favourite' which has a lovely flavour but sadly the weather has not been good for growing the last few years.
AudreyII
USA
AudreyII is female  AudreyII has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2013, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Audrey it is becoming almost impossible to buy decent tasting strawberries here, the ubiquitous 'Elsanta' is taking over because it is a variety which crops and travels well apparently.
Even the remaining small number of Pick Your Own farms seem to have adopted this variety and the use of pollytunnels .

If you want decent tasting fruit you grow your own. I have been growing 'Cambridge Favourite' which has a lovely flavour but sadly the weather has not been good for growing the last few years.
I'm apparently not a strawberry connoisseur... Strawberries is strawberries to me.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire

13-08-2013, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by AudreyII ->
I'm apparently not a strawberry connoisseur... Strawberries is strawberries to me.
I prefer the taste of raspberries but strawberries are nice and easily accessible for my little grandchildren to pick

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top