Join for free
Page 6 of 6 « First < 4 5 6
2wheeler
Lincolnshire
2wheeler is male  2wheeler has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2013, 08:35 PM

Re: Cat deterrents

Woke up the other morning to find the cat scarer knocked over and two fledgling blackbirds flat on their backs and disembowelled. Now that IS a picture you wouldn't want to see. This was wanton killing by a lovely cuddly cat who was obviously not hungry as it would have eaten the poor little corpses. It will be getting a warm welcome should it ever return...
ratbag
UK
ratbag is female  ratbag has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2013, 12:42 AM

Cats kill so many birds its very upsetting, but like somebody else said they hate snakes, an old neighbour of mine bought some of those plastic toy ones and put them on the lawn and whether it was coincidence or what no cats came back.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2013, 03:30 AM

Originally Posted by Wrinkly ->
You are right Julie, but it does highlight the problem, and if we are not careful we will have the same situation here.
You will never have quite the same problem because our wildlife evolved without an equivalent predator to the cat. A lot of ground nesting animals are being wiped out from whole swaths of land by feral cats

As for snakes; Australia has snakes everywhere but also a major feral cat problem they can co-exist.
warleyron
Warley, Essex UK
warleyron is male  warleyron has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2013, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Yes, might look into that one too. Wonder if it's very expensive?
£16.95 on ebay
Lifemask
New Member!
Devon
Lifemask is female 

19-09-2013, 02:28 PM

WE seem to have tried all the cat deterrents - orange peel, toy snakes, lion poo, electronic scarer and none of them seem to work. I have found the best method is to keep a loaded water pistol by the door and use it whenever I see a cat. I'm not sure that it's much more effective than the other methods but it is much more satisfying!
Gabi
Lancs,.
Gabi is female  Gabi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2013, 09:02 PM

I too have tried different methods, water does make them scat but they are soon back.
vivity
Perth Western Australia
vivity is female  vivity has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2013, 02:08 AM

Just read through the cat deterrents, does citrus peel really work? Last night I was woken up at 2 a.m. by a cat-fight, it got my dog and my daughters 2 dogs (I am holiday sitting them) going absolutely bananas and barking like mad. My next door neighbour has 2 cats and they sit outside my front door knowing the dogs can't get them but they can see and smell them and go absolutely frantic, barking. A possum in the roof space is bad news a cat with a bell on in the roof space is a disaster. Think I will be throwing Orange peel everywhere!

Page 6 of 6 « First < 4 5 6

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top