Join for free
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2013, 11:42 AM

Todays Task!

When gardening I set myself a task for the day, allowing an hour on and a hour of rest.
I was out there at the crack of dawn today, to collect up the slugs and snails, this year has been horrendous for them.
I came in had my breakfast, no not slugs and snails but wheatabix a mug of coffee and that rest I promised.
I did another hour breaking up an old fence panel, which I will compost, collected up some weed that comes through on 3 sides {columbine I think its called} ready to dry out for incineration.
Then I am back in for a rest and watch the F!, before having another hour tidying up a corner where all my fish equipment was, I have decommissioned a Koi pond, and now left with some rubbish to get rid of, bit by bit in the dustbin as most of it is plastic.
If I can do that today I shall be happy, having earned my corn.
If anybody requires any pumps water or air plus, much more PM me.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2013, 01:28 PM

Re: Todays Task!

What do you do with the slugs & snails? They have homing instincts! My garden is infested with that bindweed stuff, comes in from the fields.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2013, 02:30 PM

We do much the same Arthur. But I'm afraid we get side-tracked
My task today, after the nurse had gone (she was nice and early ) was to pick all the ripe tomatoes and trim them, I then ended up dead-heading the geraniums
Hubby was supposed to fix his solar pump on the water feature he got so far but got side-tracked helping me We are in now because we are hungry and his back is painful.
I will not allow him to do any more today ..

We've had no trouble with slugs and snails this year, just a couple I found today under a pot. What do you do with yours - I generally stamp on the snails and cut the slugs in half - hoping the blackbirds will eat them.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2013, 03:03 PM

Ooooooo! Violent! I get the salt out, then not look as they fizzle!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2013, 03:08 PM

Over the last two nights I have collect half a bucket of slugs and snails from my garden including the longest slug I have ever seen measuring 5 inches imagine that chomping through your plants .
I go out with a torch and bucket about 11pm.

I used to tip the bucket down the lane for the birds but having found out a while ago that slugs have a homing instinct I now put them in a bin bag then in the dustbin.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2013, 03:47 PM

5 inches Meg

We really haven't had any, let alone half a bucketful.
Tell a lie! We've found quite a few snails in the green bin - they get emptied out when the bin gets emptied
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2013, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by Janela ->
5 inches Meg

We really haven't had any, let alone half a bucketful.
Tell a lie! We've found quite a few snails in the green bin - they get emptied out when the bin gets emptied
Janela I have found slugs and snails tend not to appear before 11pm so that is when I go out with my torch

I spent time almost every warm damp night last year collecting loads of them and got to the stage where there were almost none left but they are coming back.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK

25-08-2013, 04:11 PM

My daughter has ducks & a chicken, they eat a lot of hers. Not sure they do much for the look of the garden though!
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2013, 04:15 PM

They used to go in my Koi pond, but now I dispatch them quickly.
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2013, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Over the last two nights I have collect half a bucket of slugs and snails from my garden including the longest slug I have ever seen measuring 5 inches imagine that chomping through your plants .
I go out with a torch and bucket about 11pm.

I used to tip the bucket down the lane for the birds but having found out a while ago that slugs have a homing instinct I now put them in a bin bag then in the dustbin.
I used to go out after dark with my BBQ tongues and torch to collect slugs.
OH would then take them to some waste ground and release them but I later heard somewhere that you have to take them a mile or two away otherwise they will return !

Like 'homing pigeons'

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top