Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2013, 09:59 PM

Florida 2013 - Airboat ride

One of the highlights of our holiday was taking an airboat ride through the Central Florida Everglades at Lake Toho. As we checked in we saw a strange looking spider above our heads - it was a banana spider, not poisonous, however, if you are bitten, you will experience pain....

We had a short while to wait until it was time for our trip so we had a look around the area. The alligator farming project proved interesting

Fleets of airboats at the ready - they were huge, powerful, noisy and as we were about to find out - fast!

We were allocated a 6-seater boat just for the four of us ...... similar to this one..... (no, that isn't us!)

We were given ear defenders to wear, went through some safety guidelines and we were off!

We zigzagged through narrow trails of tall reeds on the lookout for alligators and we spotted all kinds of wild life as we whipped through the swampy marsh. We saw turtles, a couple of black snakes, a wild hog, bald eagles, cranes and many species of wild fowl.

Suddenly our tour guide stopped abruptly..... at last, we were rewarded with an alligator's snout surfacing the swamp water.

..... and another one very close!

All too soon the ride was over and we sped over the water back to land.

When we arrived back we were given a talk about alligator conservation and were given the opportunity to hold "Fluffy", a two and a half year old alligator...... an opportunity I couldn't refuse! Its underside felt so soft and warm .... wonderful!

A great experience I will always remember!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2013, 10:12 PM

Re: Florida 2013 - Airboat ride

Ohh Maggs that looks fun
Aren't the little alligators cute
maryl
UK
maryl is female  maryl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2013, 10:44 PM

What a wonderful experience for you Mags, to think ....... you actually held an alligator!
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2013, 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Ohh Maggs that looks fun
Aren't the little alligators cute
It was a great experience Meg!

Originally Posted by maryl ->
What a wonderful experience for you Mags, to think ....... you actually held an alligator!
Thanks Mary, the alligator was about 2ft long and his mouth was taped together
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2013, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
It was a great experience Meg!

Thanks Mary, the alligator was about 2ft long and his mouth was taped together
Just as well !!
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2013, 10:55 AM

Nice photos Mags. That must have been a very exciting ride.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2013, 01:50 PM

Lovely photos Mags darlin' - which reminds me - I still have a crocodile steak in my freezer - must get round to cooking and eating it soon.
daisymay
South Wales Valleys
daisymay is female  daisymay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2013, 04:26 PM

Mags I am now green with envy, I have wanted to ride on one of those boats ever since seeing one on t.v. as a child.
Graham
South Hampshire
Graham is male  Graham has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2013, 04:47 PM

We will be going to Florida in December and plan to go on airboat ride and to visit Gatorland in Orlando.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK

03-09-2013, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by Graham ->
We will be going to Florida in December and plan to go on airboat ride and to visit Gatorland in Orlando.
I'm sure you will enjoy the airboat ride Graham but be warned, use plenty of mossie spray!

We visitied Gatorland on our last visit in 2010, really enjoyed it. They were holding a show about reptiles there and our daughter was chosen with three other people to help out. She was asked to choose 'heads or tails', she chose 'heads' and ended up holding the head end of a massive snake .... she was petrified!

I'll look forward to your photos

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top