Join for free
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2013, 07:05 PM

Harlequin Ladybird

Most of my Victoria plums this year have been attacked by the Plum Sawfly and are inedible, but a couple of weeks ago Mrs P noticed some different critters burrowing into the plums which were around the size of a small earwig but with black and orange stripes along the back. Today one of them hatched out into a Harlequin Ladybird, which apparently is an unwanted pest imported from foreign lands...YouTube video of the hatchling here...

Here's the larva burrowing into plum..

And here's the newly hatched ladybird..

Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2013, 07:09 PM

Re: Harlequin Ladybird

I have heard about the Harlequin ladybirds Barry but I haven't seen one yet. I don't like the look of them.

What a shame about the plumbs, a lot of them seemed to have been attacked by grubs this year.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2013, 08:26 PM

I get a few grubby ones every year but there does seem more than usual this year (and I too spray them at blossom fall).
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2013, 04:39 PM

My apples have grubs this year. We are thinking of spraying too.
Not seen any ladybirds, let alone harlequin, this year!
warleyron
Warley, Essex UK
warleyron is male  warleyron has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2013, 04:48 PM

I've seen many ladybirds but no harlequin.
This was in many plums on a clients plum tree, a plum moth caterpillar. We will set pheromone traps next spring to get rid of them
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2013, 06:45 PM

Pheremone traps sound ideal Ron, have you used them before for plum fly and was it effective?
warleyron
Warley, Essex UK
warleyron is male  warleyron has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2013, 06:51 PM

We used them last year in another garden but there were hardly any plums last year. What were produced were mostly ok. We put a refill in this year and got a bumper crop with little spoilage.
Beauty of the traps is that it doesn't kill any good guys.
sugarbug
canada
sugarbug is female  sugarbug has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2013, 07:20 PM

They look like lady bugs ..are they the same ???..

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top