Join for free
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2013, 04:16 PM

Harvest Time.

Went in the garden this morning and harvested :- 5lb blackberries, a bucketful of plums, half a bucket of runner beans, 2 buckets of James Grieve apples ( stripped the tree), half a bucket of potatoes (2 roots) and a courgette about 2 ft long (I deliberately let it grow). The tomato plants have nearly finished, just a few more to ripen. It's been one of the best years I've ever had for quality produce.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2013, 04:30 PM

Re: Harvest Time.

Well done Alan, I'm very jealous
Your freezer will be bursting at the seams

I have lots of tomatoes still to ripen, a couple of squash too and one lonely cucumber left.
My golden delicious apples are almost ready but that's it for me.
I did fill a trug to overflowing with tomatoes yesterday.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2013, 05:51 PM

Well done Alan my brother in Derbyshire has had a great year for everything except plumbs.

My tomatoes have been excellent, I have had lbs off my one grafted plant and there are many more to come.

My newly planted perpetual strawberries are bearing fruit , I hope they ripen, I can't wait to taste them.

The hedgerows here are full of blackberries which I don't really like and there is a bumper crop of hazelnuts
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2013, 06:26 PM

That's a hell of a crop Alan, it sounds like you could put the local greengrocer out of business....unless you're actually supplying him..
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2013, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by plantman ->
That's a hell of a crop Alan, it sounds like you could put the local greengrocer out of business....unless you're actually supplying him..
I hadn't done any harvesting for 5 days while my son has been here so that caused a build-up. I normally pick every second day.
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2013, 08:31 PM

MEG,
I know what GRAFTED is & I know what a TOMATO is, but what is a GRAFTED TOMATO?

In anticipation RJ
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK

11-09-2013, 09:05 PM

They take a tomato plant with a strong root system and into the stem they splice a bud from a tomato plant with desirable fruit. They then cut off the stem above the graft so they finish up with two plants growing as one. that plant will have the good qualities of the root and the good qualities of the fruit combined.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2013, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by Robert Junior ->
MEG,
I know what GRAFTED is & I know what a TOMATO is, but what is a GRAFTED TOMATO?

In anticipation RJ
Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
They take a tomato plant with a strong root system and into the stem they splice a bud from a tomato plant with desirable fruit. They then cut off the stem above the graft so they finish up with two plants growing as one. that plant will have the good qualities of the root and the good qualities of the fruit combined.
Thank you Alan
...here you are Robert...
http://www.dobies.co.uk/Garden/Veget...nce_MH1382.htm

I have had a huge crop and they have a lovely flavour.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top