Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2013, 03:42 PM

Parrot Tulips

This autumn I thought I would try out some of the "Parrot tulips", have you seen them, they're the ones with the frilly edges to the leaves. Anyone else tried them? I rather fancy the pure white ones because with the frilled edges to the petals they remind me of swans wings and look rather beautiful.

I've been waiting for some rain so I could get my wallflowers in as the bed was dry as dust before. Job now done, I've planted 96 in my front garden today, so I'm quite pleased with myself. If I can keep people's cats off, I should have a nice show next spring.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2013, 04:16 PM

Re: Parrot Tulips

Well done Jean, 96 is a lot of wallflowers Should be a lovely display - have you got some holly leaves you could scatter around them?
Did you buy bare root plants?

I've not grown parrot tulips but I love them, with their feathered, curled and twisted petals.
I have seen one I particularly like, which is white with purple streaks.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2013, 04:23 PM

Grew my wallflowers from seed Janela, they germinate very easily. It would cost too much for me to buy that many. They were desperate for more root space, so I needed to get them planted.
I bought some stuff to sprinkle about that hopefully keeps the cats off. Only thing is, half the street stinks of garlic now, it don't half pong !!
Glad you like those tulips too, I shall give them a try.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2013, 05:23 PM

Hubby laughed at the idea of the stinking wallflower bed

Bit like my greenhouse in the Spring, when I made up the bug spray - wondered why we never had cats in there, which we usually do! - now I know why

I'm quite envious of the tulips, wonder if I can persuade hubby to buy some
Abby
Australia
Abby is female  Abby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2013, 11:41 AM

Ours is not the best climate for tulips - too warm

When these Parrot tulips came out I thought they were diseased so did not take a close up shot

But you get to meet some of my garden assistants Sweet Thing, Bella, Henny and Rosebud
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

24-09-2013, 09:48 PM

Hi Abby, my kind of picture that is. Is that a litle Silkie or Polish I can see on the left behind your doggy?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

24-09-2013, 09:49 PM

Bought my parrot tulips today, some pure white ones and a purple one with snow white fringes. Hope they turn out as beautiful as they look in the bulb catalogue!
Abby
Australia
Abby is female  Abby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2013, 12:30 AM

It is a Silkie
I also hatched white ones and totally grey ones

Looking forward to seeing some pictures of the parrot tulips .
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

25-09-2013, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by Abby ->
It is a Silkie
I also hatched white ones and totally grey ones

Looking forward to seeing some pictures of the parrot tulips .

I used to keep alot of different breeds of poultry, so thought I spotted your silkie. At one time I had the whites, and blues (grey as you called yours), and gold Silkiesl, nice little birds and very good broodies aren't they. Probably my most favourite breed of all though, are the Pekin bantams - luv 'em.
Abby
Australia

29-09-2013, 07:08 AM

Here is a picture of Ella my Pekin bantam - she is Tiffany's guide dog

Tiffany is a 26 year old Silkie and blind - I built a special hutch and run for them so when I am not around I can close them in.

Ella is 1 year old and seems totally dedicated to caring for Tiffany.
She calls her to the feeding bowls and gets her on and off the roost by running up and down on the ramp calling out until Tiffany follows.

Ella loves being in the yard but every few minutes she runs into the enclosure does a couple of laps around Tiffany and back out again.

Ella is such a happy chook sings all day

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top