Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Moiramary
Lincoln
Moiramary is female  Moiramary has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2013, 04:23 PM

Re: Sloes

Not quite ready in my neck of the woods but I've noticed there is not a very big crop this year. I like the sound of sloe and apple jelly.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2013, 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Jean sloes are not usually ready until October preferably after the first frost.
I like sloe and apple jelly , lovely with pork /game/cold meat.
Thanks meg, but from past experience, sometimes the first frosts can be quite along time coming, and if I don't pick during Sept. the sloes have all vanished, probably either taken by other "pickers" or birds. A little trick I have done in the past with perfect success, is to pick regardless of frosts, then pop them in my own freezer for a day or two, then defrost and use as normal - same result.
Abby
Australia
Abby is female  Abby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-09-2013, 02:46 AM

Originally Posted by Sandi ->
Billy,

It's wild form is called Blackthorn it's true name Prunus Spinosa a relative of the Plum Tree.
Blackthorn (Prunus spinosa) is regarded as an environmental weed in Tasmania and Victoria.
vivity
Perth Western Australia
vivity is female  vivity has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-09-2013, 03:40 AM

Are Sloes used to make Gin?
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-09-2013, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Thanks meg, but from past experience, sometimes the first frosts can be quite along time coming, and if I don't pick during Sept. the sloes have all vanished, probably either taken by other "pickers" or birds. A little trick I have done in the past with perfect success, is to pick regardless of frosts, then pop them in my own freezer for a day or two, then defrost and use as normal - same result.
I have done that too Jean
We have so many blackthorn around here and the sloes seem to stay on the bough well into the winter. It appears be a very good crop this year.
Originally Posted by vivity ->
Are Sloes used to make Gin?
Yes Vivity you use ordinary gin and steep the sloes in it to produce sloe gin .

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top