Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2013, 10:37 AM

Coloured Veg.

What do people think about all the strange coloured vegetables available to grow now?
I have just seen in my garden mag there is now a jet black tomato. Why? There are also purple, orange or green cauli's, purple carrots, white strawberies etc.
Personally, I don't like them, especially white strawberries. I love to see big, red, ripe strawberries on my plants in the summer, and a white ones just wouldn't look half as appealing.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2013, 10:38 AM

Re: Coloured Veg.

I have an allergy to strawberries but when I was a child, I could eat the white ones that my Dad grew.

Not sure about the colours or if it makes any difference - I know red onions are better for you than white (due to something in the redness) but whether that applies to other veg I have no idea.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2013, 11:01 AM

They say they're 'novelty veg' BV, but it would put me off if I saw purple carrots and black tomatoes for sale
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2013, 11:15 AM

I don't like strange colour vegetables, my brain is programmed to associate certain colours with a particular taste and it doesn't like being confused at my age .
For example, I don't care much for beetroot and red carrots remind me of beetroot so I find them off putting.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2013, 11:26 AM

We both quite like different coloured veg.
I did have some black striped tomatoes but hubby didn't like the look of them, so I ate them
I'd be happy to cook purple carrots or broccoli for a fun dinner with the family
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2013, 11:48 AM

A lot of these are very old varieties, so I like to see them being brought back, often they have a far superior taste to the veg we are used to, just wish they had them in the basics range so I could buy them.

Black runner beans were my granddads favourite runners he grew a row every year when we were children, purple tomatoes and almost black carrots, all from very old seeds he had been saving them for many years each autumn.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2013, 02:51 PM

Hmmm, how does that affect the advice to "eat your greens"?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2013, 02:59 PM

Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

30-10-2013, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
A lot of these are very old varieties, so I like to see them being brought back, often they have a far superior taste to the veg we are used to, just wish they had them in the basics range so I could buy them.

Black runner beans were my granddads favourite runners he grew a row every year when we were children, purple tomatoes and almost black carrots, all from very old seeds he had been saving them for many years each autumn.
That's interesting Julie, I didn't realise that.
BV also said about eating white strawbs as a child.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

30-10-2013, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by ben-varrey ->
I have an allergy to strawberries but when I was a child, I could eat the white ones that my Dad grew.
Not sure about the colours or if it makes any difference - I know red onions are better for you than white (due to something in the redness) but whether that applies to other veg I have no idea.
I had no idea they had been around that long BV - whoops, not suggesting for one minute you are getting on

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top