Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Moiramary
Lincoln
Moiramary is female  Moiramary has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-11-2013, 03:12 PM

Re: Winter protection

We put fuchsias and geraniums in the unheated greenhouse, everything else is hardy.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-11-2013, 03:52 PM

I put a fleece 'jacket' over my Acer every winter - just in case! I'll also try putting fleece on my agapanthus this year - I usually leave them uncovered and they end up as a gooey mess after any frosts or snow ..... but come Spring they always shoot up again

I'll also try wrapping bubble wrap around some of my outdoor pots this winter as I have nowhere to bring them in out of the elements.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-11-2013, 05:18 PM

I only cover my crops during the growing season to protect against flies, and other things. I don't grow anything during winter, all that's left is the rose bush, the plum tree (that's not doing anything other than just sitting there!) and the fruit bushes, which I want to get rid of.

In the shared shed I have a collection of cloches, black plastic and fleece, and netting. All gets used depending on what's growing and what needs covering up. At the moment I don't have anything in pots, though the plan is to have something or other, maybe new strawbery plants, and perhaps some bulbs.
Myth and Magic
UK
Myth and Magic is female  Myth and Magic has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-11-2013, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
The only thing I lose every year is sage, I don't know why I use a lot in cooking at it really annoys me to have to buy it..
My sage usually dies off over the winter, when it is in full 'leaf' I cut as much as possible, wash it and freeze it, either in a freezer bag or a plastic pot. No special treatment required. I freeze mint as well.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-11-2013, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by Myth and Magic ->
My sage usually dies off over the winter, when it is in full 'leaf' I cut as much as possible, wash it and freeze it, either in a freezer bag or a plastic pot. No special treatment required. I freeze mint as well.
That's a good idea MM. Clever gal.
lavander
s. scotland
lavander is female  lavander has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-11-2013, 06:42 PM

I put fleece round the roots of my miniature peach tree...i also cover the branches with a black bin bag...don't know why I bother as I've never had a peach....I cut the parsley and freeze it along with the leeks
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-11-2013, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by Myth and Magic ->
My old sage used to keep going all through the winter, I guess it was a hardy variety. It died two years ago as have all the replacements. I haven't had a plant with enough foliage to cut and freeze I think I will have to try growing one in a different part of the garden next spring.

I have got mint and chives in the freezer in ice cubes
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-11-2013, 12:55 PM

What about a packet of sage seeds Meg. Just a thought.

I tried drying chives last year - not the same flavour
Jeanette80
New Member!
West Sussex
Jeanette80 is female 

15-11-2013, 11:18 AM

I put mine Geraniums in the conservatory

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top