Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Sandi
Adelaide, South Australia
Sandi is female  Sandi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-11-2013, 03:58 AM

Re: Straw Bale Gardening

No dig gardens are just another form of straw bale gardening Twiz and would enable you to just break up the bales without having to carry them.

Clay soil is a real bugger for gardening. Do you use gypsum or Dolomite
on it Twiz ?? This site tells you about these :-

http://www.abc.net.au/gardening/stories/s1503292.htm

Here in Adelaide we get lots of different types of soil. Clay, sand and Limestone are the worst. Sandy soils, especially in the heat hold no water and it takes years to improve the soil to get anything to grow.

Some of the clay soils here are notorious and called Bay of Biscay soils called that I think by the first English settlers here as it reminded them of the soils back home.
They are known as some of the worst in the world because in the different seasons they expand and contract and cause bad cracking in the houses and very expensive for people to fix.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2013, 09:07 PM

Re: Straw Bale Gardening

I don't know if we can still buy gypsum, I suppose chalk would be similar, never heard of dolomite, will find out about it. I have put some grit & compost on which will hopefully work it's way down through. Thanks Sandi.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top