Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
zinnia
Wiltshire
zinnia is female  zinnia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2013, 06:16 PM

Winter Pansies

I bought plug winter pansies in September thinking they would be big enough to plant into pots before the winter set in. In fact they are still quite small but growing - I have them in the conservatory -Does anyone know how hardy they are and when it would be safe to put them outside.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2013, 06:27 PM

Re: Winter Pansies

I just put mine out as soon as I buy them, never lost any.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2013, 06:31 PM

If they were sold as winter pansies, then plant them out.
I've had my plugs planted out for weeks -they are still on the small side but flowering..they'll poke their flower noses through the snow.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2013, 07:13 PM

Hello Joy I plant my winter pansies out the moment I buy them in early October when the soil is still warm, that way the roots get off to a good start.

Winter Pansies are hardy and can cope with the cold weather.
zinnia
Wiltshire
zinnia is female  zinnia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2013, 07:28 PM

Many thanks for your advice - these plugs seemed so tiny it felt a bit cruel letting them fend for themselves! I will get on and plant them out.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2013, 10:08 PM

I bought some last year in autumn, planted them out and, before they started flowering, most of them had been eaten by the slugs. This year I've decided that I will buy them in March and hope they survive.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2013, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by zinnia ->
I bought plug winter pansies in September thinking they would be big enough to plant into pots before the winter set in. In fact they are still quite small but growing - I have them in the conservatory -Does anyone know how hardy they are and when it would be safe to put them outside.

I would have thought it depends whether they've been hardened off yet, or come straight out of a greenhouse?
Personally, if I'm buying tiny plugs, I would have got them a few weeks back, but if not buying till Nov/Dec, I would have bought big plants if you want some blooms before very bad weather sets in.
I always find they have a rest from flowering if the weather gets very severe, but they soon bounce back in early spring.
Maybe others don't agree though.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2013, 12:26 AM

I planted my winter pansies in bloom in hanging baskets and in the ground a month ago, they are still flowering now. As the weather gets colder, they tend to stop flowering until February/March when they always give a lovely display.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2013, 01:38 PM

Yes, same here Mags. We're in December on sunday, so I'd have thought if plugs are still very small this late, you're not going to get much colour out of them now until next spring.
bloggsy
Hampshire
bloggsy is male  bloggsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2013, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by Twizard ->
I just put mine out as soon as I buy them, never lost any.
me neither

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top