Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2013, 07:06 PM

Taming the jungle

Now that I have more time at home I have made some progress in the taming of my jungle, alias Five Years' Hard Labour. But progress is painfully slow. This place was abandonned for six years, and when I first moved in I thought its name should be changed to Bramblewood due to the massive triffid-like growth of brambles. But today I have actually managed to clear an area which once was apparently terraced flower beds. It's only a small area, but very satisfying. Should have taken some before and after shots!

So far, apart from an empty vodka bottle and a couple of beer cans, I've also discovered lurking in the growth a car seat cover, three flower pot trays, two dog's bowls, various bits of plastic and plastic bags, and my septic tank. Also an azalea I didn't know I had.

Looking forward to a bonfire to get rid of all the stuff cleared so far. (Though *cough* we are not supposed to burn...so may do it on Christmas Day.)
Victors Mate
Fondly Remembered
Planet Earth
Victors Mate is male  Victors Mate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2013, 07:19 PM

Re: Taming the jungle

Originally Posted by orangutan ->

So far, apart from an empty vodka bottle and a couple of beer cans, I've also discovered lurking in the growth a car seat cover, three flower pot trays, two dog's bowls, various bits of plastic and plastic bags, and my septic tank. Also an azalea I didn't know I had.
Plus two turtle doves and a partridge in a pear tree.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2013, 07:20 PM

Well I think I have at least a pear tree...
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2013, 07:33 PM

Hello Ania
So nice to see a thread in gardening at this time of year. Apart from being winter and wet and cold out there, we are all worrying about christmas.

I wish you had taken photographs (says she who can't put a picture on!)

I know it is hard work, clearing a big area but imagine how thrilled you will be when it is done...a satisying job.
Pots and trays you find, you can keep ... we all end up with a big pile and they are always useful

Now you have a new azalea to admire in spring too.
Good luck with it all and please keep up posted here, on your progress.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world

09-12-2013, 06:22 PM

Thanks for the encouragement, Janela! The nice thing is that since retiring I can actually make a prolonged assault on the jungle - we've had two mainly dry weeks recently which has given me the chance to do a bit every day. When I was working I had to hope that the odd day off had suitable weather, which usually it didn't...Little by little...
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2013, 12:07 PM

That's great progress Ania, you deserve a pat on the back, well done you.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2013, 12:18 PM

What are you going to plant in the garden once it has been cleared Ania
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2013, 04:48 PM

I was wondering too Meg
Was thinking, are you going for a bit of veg? Ania.
I have to be honest, I've been guilty of looking at plant and seed catalogues this week
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2013, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by Janela ->
I was wondering too Meg
Was thinking, are you going for a bit of veg? Ania.
I have to be honest, I've been guilty of looking at plant and seed catalogues this week
....and I have just purchased my runner beans having eaten the last of the frozen ones which were lovely and full of flavour this year .
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world

10-12-2013, 07:58 PM

Will eventually do some veg, but the area I am currently clearing will likely be rockery stuff. To be honest, I suspect that it will be another year before I can plant it. The roots of what has been there are so extensive that I suspect in the spring and summer I will have to do repeated spraying with weedkiller before I can even think about planting new stuff.
Have been thinking about suitable veg, though. What do you suggest as being the best things to grow when I am a household of just one?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top