Join for free
Page 3 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2014, 05:59 PM

Re: The Gardening Year 2014

Spent a lovely couple of hours in the garden
Not in a tee shirt though Mags a light jumper.
Tidied up geraniums in the old greenhouse and got some weeding and hoeing done - not much though, 'cos my back was killing me.
Hubby had to saw off the padlock on the garden shed, mumbling and moaning about cheap **** I bought . WD40 wouldn't shift it!
So nice to see little daffodils and primroses in flower and all the new shoots on the roses and clematis.
New growth everywhere, including pansies and primulas that I grew from seed early autumn.
Curmudgeon
Surrey UK
Curmudgeon is male  Curmudgeon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2014, 06:50 PM

Spent the whole morning trying to do something with the soil in the garden, The incessant rain has panned it down to a slime covered hard crust. Managed to get it forked over and dug in 4 bags of Puckamuck, looks like I need 4 more.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2014, 01:48 PM

I managed to get an hour in the garden yesterday and gave the back lawn a first high cut. I also tidied the troughs holding the new perpetual strawberries.

I was shocked to see that although I cut off some ivy with a hacksaw in the autumn separating the stem and roots from the top, the top has opened its leaves and appears to be still growing I guess it must have retained some nourishment and should now die back .
The garlic is doing really well.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2014, 06:45 PM

The ivy is probably surviving on aerial roots Meg
We finished our lawn too. Doesn't it make the garden look better? Just the edging to do tomorrow.
Our magnolia tree looks beautiful, this wet winter must have suited it.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2014, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by Janela ->
The ivy is probably surviving on aerial roots Meg
We finished our lawn too. Doesn't it make the garden look better? Just the edging to do tomorrow.
Our magnolia tree looks beautiful, this wet winter must have suited it.
I guessed it was something like that Janela
Yes the gardens do look better when the lawn has had a bit of a trim .
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2014, 11:53 AM

This may sound criminal to some, but I spent yesterday digging out huge old fuschia bushes which have grown like triffids. In this part of Ireland fuschia grows like weeds and tends to take over everything. Nice to have reclaimed the flowerbed! Bonfire time today
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK

13-03-2014, 12:14 PM

Nothing criminal in that but considering I've lost some this winter and all the cuttings I took

Joking apart, it's nice to clear away old stuff, have you any idea what you are going to plant?
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2014, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by Janela ->
Nothing criminal in that but considering I've lost some this winter and all the cuttings I took

Joking apart, it's nice to clear away old stuff, have you any idea what you are going to plant?
Well I put in a small black elder and acer yesterday, and I left the very healthy bluebells which were there. That's a start!
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK

16-03-2014, 07:31 PM

I'm trying sweet corn this year, after last years disaster with the runner beans, they are going in their place. I'm wondering if they need companion planting? Does anyone grow corn?
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world

17-03-2014, 10:56 AM

Had a lovely bonfire yesterday, and if I can repeat the performance today I'll have done a good lot of clearing Even managed a first lawn cut too. I love spring!

Page 3 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top