Join for free
Page 9 of 9 « First < 7 8 9
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2014, 08:00 AM

Re: The Gardening Year 2014

Our Stella cherry tree is fruiting for the first time - we have quite a few fruits, and I'm hoping they will hold off until our son comes, so that he can pick them (it was a gift from him)

Still picking strawberries, and dug up some garlic yesterday .. about half a dozen were ready, they are all a jolly good size and we are hoping to plait some again. (have to keep them hidden though - our daughter and dil had the last lot)

Happy gardening all.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2014, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by Janela ->
Our Stella cherry tree is fruiting for the first time - we have quite a few fruits, and I'm hoping they will hold off until our son comes, so that he can pick them (it was a gift from him)

Still picking strawberries, and dug up some garlic yesterday .. about half a dozen were ready, they are all a jolly good size and we are hoping to plait some again. (have to keep them hidden though - our daughter and dil had the last lot)

Happy gardening all.
Hi Janela I have had a few strawberries and my Grandaughter Hannah was horrified when she caught Chloe dog stealing them off the plants

I haven't tried my garlic yet but the plants look huge.

Have you netted the cherries, the starlings used to fight over mine at dawn each day and we never had any. They weren't very nice anyway and I cut the tree back because it was always covered in blackfly.
I hope you enjoy your cherries
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2014, 08:55 AM

Good morning Meg, yes we netted the cherry, it's about 7 foot tall and managable still. Woodpigeons are our problem and no sign of blackfly.

We both have bad backs at the moment, though Wal's is much worse, and he has been using the wheelchair, so the strawberries are tormenting me!
(I'm going to try using a long handled cutter and the pick-up stick)
Poor Hannah, having to share with Chloe

I bought 6 cucamelon plants to try this year .. decided to grow them in pots outside the front of the greenhouse, looking forward to trying them.
Will report on their progress.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2014, 09:10 AM

Good morning Meg, yes we netted the cherry, it's about 7 foot tall and managable still. Woodpigeons are our problem and no sign of blackfly.

We both have bad backs at the moment, though Wal's is much worse, and he has been using the wheelchair, so the strawberries are tormenting me!

I bought 6 cucamelon plants to try this year .. decided to grow them in pots outside the front of the greenhouse, looking forward to trying them.
Oh dear Janela a bad back is not the best thing for a gardener and it must be very frustrating not being able to get to things.
Good luck with the cucamelons
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2014, 09:24 AM

Hi Janela, I grew a cucamelon last year for the first time and won't bother again. They are rather like gooseberries but a bit more oval in appearance and don't have much flavour but they're OK to chop up and add to a mixed salad. Their growing habit is like a climber with shoots about 6 feet long.
lovemyboys
Chatterbox
Canada
lovemyboys is female  lovemyboys has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2014, 10:35 AM

I've never heard of them!
I just did a quick search, and they sure are 'cute' looking.
So they don't taste much like cucumbers Alan?
Hope they grow well for you Janela. Will be waiting to here what you think of them.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire

19-06-2014, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by lovemyboys ->
I've never heard of them!
I just did a quick search, and they sure are 'cute' looking.
So they don't taste much like cucumbers Alan?
Hope they grow well for you Janela. Will be waiting to here what you think of them.
''Cucamelons are grape-sized 'watermelons' that taste of pure cucumber with a tinge of lime''

Yum I bet they are lovely in a dressed salad
lovemyboys
Chatterbox
Canada
lovemyboys is female  lovemyboys has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2014, 10:50 AM

Oh boy, I'd be eating them straight off the plant!

Page 9 of 9 « First < 7 8 9

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top