Join for free
Page 1 of 24 1 2 3 11 > Last »
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2010, 11:44 PM

The Toms are in

Planted 4 varieties of seeds today in the propagator, Ailsa Craig, Money Maker, Red Alert and Alicante, . . . B+Q are doing a small kit, it's a small tray with a clear lid with 12 compressed peat discs that swell when water's added, . . there are 3 packets of seeds included, cucumber, toms, and lettuce, all for £2.98 . . . the tray acts like a mini propagator.
Old git
West Deeping Lincs
Old git is male  Old git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2010, 12:27 PM

Re: The Toms are in

Throw the moneymaker away now-it saves time I`m no fan of Alicante either and I do not grow Ailsa Craig. Red Alert is OK(ish)

But then I`m a hopeless `Tomaholic`-I grow hundreds of plants a year and try to sell a few.

I`m one of those lost souls who grows an endless list of tomato varieties and the word `heritage` in a seed catalouge gets me trying them.

For years now I have been ranting on about Moneymaker---it`s reliable,crops well but tastes crap!!!
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2010, 12:56 PM

It's the first time I've seen Ailsa Craig, . . until last year I've never grown toms for 30 years so any advice will be greatly appreciated OG.
Old git
West Deeping Lincs
Old git is male  Old git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2010, 01:35 PM

Ailasa Craig is OK,not special and the original strain is prone to `greenback`

I don`t know your climate but all I can say is that if you can grow that awful MM then you can grow better varieties.

First year back just grow what you have-next year is time to go on and grow something worthy of the time put in
nero
Central Scotland

24-03-2010, 04:28 PM

Our climate is obviously rather cooler that down south, the site where the lean-to greenhouse will be faces south to get the max light and warmth, . . it's sheltered and will be about 14 X 3 X 7 foot high, . . . I might plant some cherry types coz they're sweet and are good in salads.
val
Kent UK
val is female  val has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2010, 06:05 PM

I've given up sewing my own, I now buy in plugs. I just love home grown toms , no one else does so I just have a couple of plants for myself and grow them on when the weather warms up. What sort do you recommend OG? I love a sweet tomato and have always gone for money maker or gardeners delight. Any other variety better?
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2010, 07:55 PM

Ailsa Craig disappointed me when I tried it 2 years ago; never planted Momeymaker as I've heard bad things about it. I usually go with Super Marmande or Rutgers (hard to find here). Both do very well for me.
Old git
West Deeping Lincs

24-03-2010, 08:27 PM

I might plant some cherry types coz they're sweet and are good in salads.

Nero-for a cherry try `Sweet Million*` it should do well enough under the conditions you say.

*Sweet one million or other names-it`s classed as an F1 hybrid but it`s a long story-it does come true from saved seed
Old git
West Deeping Lincs

24-03-2010, 08:38 PM

Val-where you live you can grow better things than the awful MM-Gardener`s delight is a good one but try something new??

Black Russian should be OK-it`s got a complex flavour but well worth trying,also try St Pierre,Stupice,-oh i could go on and on.

And a plug for us little folk--some of us sell many varieties,we do it for love and a tiny profit. But you would have to live here I guess
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2010, 11:52 PM

OG, I'd love to try more of the heirloom varieties, but with a tiny backyard plot I stick with the ones I like and that do well in my climate

Page 1 of 24 1 2 3 11 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top