Join for free
Page 2 of 24 < 1 2 3 4 12 > Last »
val
Kent UK
val is female  val has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2010, 07:57 AM

Re: The Toms are in

Thanks for that OG, I think I will try something different. Especially as its only for me .
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2010, 01:45 PM

Ahemm, . . been shopping today and in Lidl's they have quite a few varieties, . . I chose,

Cherries - Cerise melange,
Cherrytomaat,
Mezla de tomate cherry,
Chico Rosso.

The larger ones - Marmande,
Harzfeuer,

All the above from Lidl's.

In the Klondyke centre I got - Ferline F1 Hybrid, . . on the packet it says they resistant to blight and verticillium wilts.

I cheated a bit by getting a seedling in a pot at 95p, this was Ailsa Craig.

I've priced acrylic corrugated sheeting for the lean-to and it's a bit expensive but it's better and safer than glass with 4 rotties running amok like they do.
val
Kent UK
val is female  val has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2010, 01:59 PM

I was in Lidls yesterday but never saw any, it was a quick visit though, I won't be going again for awhile.Not to keen on the cherries or the very large toms, I forget what they're called. The cherries taste nice but I got to many for myself and everyone round here grows toms so couldn't even give them away.Are the large ones called beefcake or something? Mine grew to such a weird shape, probably not enough water.
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2010, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by val ->
I was in Lidls yesterday but never saw any, it was a quick visit though, I won't be going again for awhile.Not to keen on the cherries or the very large toms, I forget what they're called. The cherries taste nice but I got to many for myself and everyone round here grows toms so couldn't even give them away.Are the large ones called beefcake or something? Mine grew to such a weird shape, probably not enough water.
Yes, beefcake, I don't like those either, I think they're more for cooking with.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2010, 05:00 PM

lThey're called beefsteak here, LOL, beefcake is sexy guy pics!
nero
Central Scotland

25-03-2010, 06:18 PM

The total cost of the corrugated acrylic sheeting is £120, . . this will give me a lean-to greenhouse 14 X 4 X 7 foot high, . . that's not bad, . . the sheets are guaranteed for 10 years against UV damage so they'll probably outlast me, . . the timber frame will only cost £20.

I also got a packet of black cherry types today, . . and I remembered my old dad planted African Marigolds to keep the greenfly at bay so I got a packet of those too.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2010, 10:24 PM

Marigolds are good for repelling pests around tomatoes, but I usually use the shorter French marigolds myself as I have such a small space, None of my tomato seeds are up yet, although the basil and hot peppers are.

Wish I had room for a greenhouse, I'd go mad planting things! Isn't Spring wonderful?
nero
Central Scotland

26-03-2010, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by dandysmom ->
Marigolds are good for repelling pests around tomatoes, but I usually use the shorter French marigolds myself as I have such a small space, None of my tomato seeds are up yet, although the basil and hot peppers are.

Wish I had room for a greenhouse, I'd go mad planting things! Isn't Spring wonderful?
The Klondyke centre I was in had a new delivery of Phalaenopsis in DM, . . the varieties were amazing but at £14.95 a pop I passed them by.
Old git
West Deeping Lincs
Old git is male  Old git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2010, 12:49 PM

I cheated a bit by getting a seedling in a pot at 95p, this was Ailsa Craig.

I could weep-a well grown plant from me would set you back 65p,and it would be a plant I had grown myself,loved,cared for and only it``s new owner could kill it
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA

26-03-2010, 04:35 PM

I never buy the potted plants at the garden centre, to me the fun is starting them from seed; plus you can get varieties that aren't available that way.

Page 2 of 24 < 1 2 3 4 12 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top