Join for free
Page 3 of 24 < 1 2 3 4 5 13 > Last »
val
Kent UK
val is female  val has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2010, 06:32 PM

Re: The Toms are in

I always have trouble with seeds, they start off fine and I end up with a few measley splindly things, I don't get damping off but have trouble keeping them going until I can plant outside.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2010, 08:52 PM

Val, I gather you're planting only for your own use.This would never work for people with large gardens or allotments, but for just a few plants ... a dozen or so ...I start them in small pots, keep them in a tray covered with plastic to retain moisture till they germinate. Then move the plants to a South facing windowsill in the morning, then to a West window for the afternoon sun, then back to the South one. I've done this for 40+ years and the plants are in fine fettle when I plant them outside in May. Just a suggestion .....
val
Kent UK
val is female  val has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2010, 08:49 AM

Thanks DM I think that is the trouble really I don't have a greenhouse now and the only place I can keep them is in the dining room by the patio door, the sun moves round in the afternoon. I've tried turning the plants everyday so they don't lean over, in fact they do get loads of light but never look robust or healthy. I grow them in a multi compost maybe that is the problem, they start off brilliant but end up sickly. I've heard you shouldn't feed them until the tomatoes form but its long before that they start to look sad.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2010, 09:21 AM

All seedlings must be on a window sill.

If they grow long and spindley the warmth is there for them to germinate but they are not getting enough light.

This has just happened to me with some lettuce seeds
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2010, 02:22 PM

As the greenhouse will be 7 foot high I got some Tumbling Tom basket seeds today, . . they'll trail nicely from the baskets which I'll fix the the garage wall, . . yep, I'm a basket case.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2010, 04:57 PM

Val, it does sound as if lack of enough sunlight is the problem. You might consider getting a grow light if you really want to do seeds. I'm lucky to have windows that face both South and West.
Old git
West Deeping Lincs
Old git is male  Old git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2010, 04:59 PM

Val-you seem to be do everything right considering you do not have a greenhouse. Are the seedlings getting too dry/wet at any stage? Multipurpose compost is fine but make sure it`s a decent brand-some of it is rubbish.

The internet can be so frustrating as we cannot see your seedlings-it`s probably something that can be fixed easily but I would need to see them .

Some varieties I am growing this year:

Blaby,Stupice,Marizol Gold,Eva Purple Ball,Marmande,Antique Roman,Vanessa,Gardener`s Delight, Larissa(via DM),Black Russian,Brandywine,Karol Gigantov,Sweet Million,Matina,Tiny Tim,Tumbler,Japanese Black Trifle,Black Cherry,Green Zebra,Outdoor Girl,St Pierre,Harbinger,Blue Ridge Mountain,Opalka and probably some others.

Well I am cutting back on the varieties I offer-once upon a time it was as many as 50 varieties
l
It`s very addictive
PPHammer
Yorkshire, UK
PPHammer is male  PPHammer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2010, 08:13 PM

I have had mine in a month along with my courgettes, giant pink banana squash, globe artichokes, chillies and aubergines. They are all doing fine.

Tomatoes include:
Black krim
Black zebra
Black cherry
Bush beefsteak
Orange banana
Cream sausage
Koralik
Costoluto fiorentino
Roma
Green zebra
Garden pearl
Striped Roman
Sub arctic plenty

I've gone a bit mad because I didn't think they would all germinate, but they have. Don't know about the flavours yet because it is the first time I have grown them. I am very short of window sill space, especially south facing. They will be down the allotment in the greenhouse once it warms up a bit more. Then I will get a second batch going.

I love tomatoes. Please Old Git - if you know what some of these varieties taste like, don't tell me. I want a surprise in a few months time.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA

27-03-2010, 08:23 PM

How I wish I had room to try more varieties! Last year was bad for tomatoes in the Mid-Atlantic states, no ones did well. This year I'm just sticking with Super Marmande, which did better than Larissa (glad you apparently liked it, OG!); didn't try any new ones.
PPHammer
Yorkshire, UK
PPHammer is male  PPHammer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2010, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by dandysmom ->
How I wish I had room to try more varieties! Last year was bad for tomatoes in the Mid-Atlantic states, no ones did well. This year I'm just sticking with Super Marmande, which did better than Larissa (glad you apparently liked it, OG!); didn't try any new ones.
Was it blight that was the problem? I am assured that koralik are blight resistant

Page 3 of 24 < 1 2 3 4 5 13 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top