Join for free
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2015, 03:25 PM

Another Poppy thread

This morning I unwittingly saw that Newswatch feature the BBC does with the pretence of listening to viewers' complaints or comments regarding News Reporting.

I was surprised to hear reference to the "usual arguments", (their quote), regarding the timing for wearing Poppies and what the BBC's policy is towards the wearing of Poppies by staff, on-screen presenters and guests.

This must have changed since my day because our Line Managers always told us that it was up to us unless we were in the public eye or actually likely to appear on-screen as the BBC preferred to be seen as proactive regarding the commemoration of Armistice Day.

We were told that wearing a poppy was permissible up to 2 weeks before the 11th and a couple of days after the "commemoration weekend" to properly show our respect and I have always abided by this as it was the Royal Navy's preferred period too.

Viewers were apparently complaining of knee-jerk conformity at the BBC and felt that there was a certain amount of compulsion to wear a poppy but there never was in the past, or I never experienced it in ten years I worked for the BBC.

Do you feel compelled to wear a poppy?

I always donate but I tend to lose poppies all the time but I always stop and observe 2 minutes' silence on the 11th minute etcetera as it was how I was brought up.

What do you think? stevmk2
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2015, 03:39 PM

Re: Another Poppy thread

I always buy a poppy but never wear it, they usually fall to bits. There were many people buying them this morning at the market I went to and almost all bars and restaurants have them on the counters too for sale/donation.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2015, 05:43 PM

Re: Another Poppy thread

I like to see the presenters wearing poppies but it has to be their own choice I would not like to think they are doing it because they had to not because they want to.

Perhaps if they want only presenters who wear them to appear the non poppy wearers could step aside for a couple of weeks ?

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top