Join for free
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »
PPHammer
Yorkshire, UK
PPHammer is male  PPHammer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2010, 09:00 AM

Today I am planting.....

Asparagus peas
Burgundy okra
Chard
More peas
Turks turban squash

Of course, some of these will be indoors until the risk of frost has passed
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2010, 09:16 AM

Re: Today I am planting.....

Good luck with them Paul, . . . it was very cold here last night so we may just get a frosty one mate.
PPHammer
Yorkshire, UK
PPHammer is male  PPHammer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2010, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by nero ->
Good luck with them Paul, . . . it was very cold here last night so we may just get a frosty one mate.
It was cold here last night Denis. I put some of my toms in the greenhouse thinking we were in for a warm spell. Hope they will be OK.
Old git
West Deeping Lincs
Old git is male  Old git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2010, 11:16 AM

Have you grown asparagus peas before??. Few people grow them twice
they get inedible very quickly but do look pretty.

Okra-that is a challenge,lovely flowers if you can get them that far but as a crop??

But good luck anyway
PPHammer
Yorkshire, UK

17-04-2010, 05:49 PM

Both new crops to me OG - hope I have some success. I think the asparagus peas have to be eaten very young - but here goes. Watch this space
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-04-2010, 08:45 PM

I've never known anyone other than myself who grew asparagus peas! They're delicious, easy to grow and aren't frost tender. But they are rampant growers, tended to take over my small plot, so haven't grown them but the once. Pretty blue flowers, too! You do have to eat them very young as OG said.

Okra does pretty well here, likes out hot humid Summers; I got a decent crop from a few plants: mainly wanted them to make pickled okra.
Old git
West Deeping Lincs
Old git is male  Old git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2010, 09:09 AM

I know one chap around the gardening sites who still grows asparagus peas,he picks them very young and freezes them until he has enough for a meal. Worth a try but a lot of effort??
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2010, 04:29 PM

One of our Catsey members mentioned this morning that she's trying asparagus peas this year also. Hope you enjoy yours, PPH!
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2010, 04:35 PM

The first few spears of real asparagus are starting to peep through
Woo-hoo! Love it
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA

19-04-2010, 04:43 PM

If you like a Chinese stir fry of spicy green beans, I discovered you can make it with asparagus spears in about 1 1/2" lengths .... delicious! A change from te usual recipes.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top