Join for free
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
PPHammer
Yorkshire, UK
PPHammer is male  PPHammer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2010, 06:39 PM

Re: Today I am planting.....

Originally Posted by dandysmom ->
I've never known anyone other than myself who grew asparagus peas! They're delicious, easy to grow and aren't frost tender. But they are rampant growers, tended to take over my small plot, so haven't grown them but the once. Pretty blue flowers, too! You do have to eat them very young as OG said..
Great - I am looking forward to eating them - if I get any

How do you cook them? Steamed?
PPHammer
Yorkshire, UK
PPHammer is male  PPHammer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2010, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by dinahsmum ->
The first few spears of real asparagus are starting to peep through
Woo-hoo! Love it
I've put 6 crowns of asparagus in this week too - obviously I won't get any this year. But can't wait for next and subsequent years. Will 6 crowns be enough??????
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2010, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by PPHammer ->
Great - I am looking forward to eating them - if I get any

How do you cook them? Steamed?
I'm sure you could; I aways used mine in a stir fry. If they get past the picking stage, about 1 1/2" you can let them mature to the full 8", shell and cook the peas, or so it says in my Chinese Vegetable book. Never tried that, but I suspect they'd be good with a drizzle of olive oil, vinegar and a grind of pepper, like borlotti. It also says the root is edible and you can cook it the way you cook a sweet potato.
PPHammer
Yorkshire, UK

19-04-2010, 08:38 PM

Thanks Eileen
Old git
West Deeping Lincs
Old git is male  Old git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2010, 09:11 PM

Will 6 crowns be enough??????

In time 6 crowns will give you a couple of meals. I am lucky enough to have a grower just up the road so I can always buy it locally.

Asparagus is one of those crops that make me feel really `posh`-if you discount the smelly pee after
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2010, 09:37 PM

When I grew it I only had 3 crowns, that was enough for me. After 3 years it was doing very well, but unfortunately the mimosa tree was growing rapidly and it became far too shady for the asparagus to do well.
PPHammer
Yorkshire, UK

27-04-2010, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by Old git ->
Asparagus is one of those crops that make me feel really `posh`-if you discount the smelly pee after
lol - I noticed this. Nearly ran off to the doctors first time thinking I had an infection

The burgundy okra are all through OG - AND they look very healthy. I will post a picture when they are a bit older. Meanwhile, here is a picture of my squash - just waiting for the risk of frost to pass.

[IMG]
[/IMG]
PPHammer
Yorkshire, UK

27-04-2010, 12:40 PM

A lesson I learnt today also is don't plant sweetcorn in trays - plant them in pots. There was a mat of intertwined roots in the tray. Managed to tease them out and put in pots. Did a little test one yesterday to see if it survived - yes it did. So with a bit of luck and care, they will all survive being transplanted into their pots.
Old git
West Deeping Lincs
Old git is male  Old git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2010, 04:20 PM

You worry too much!!-sweetcorn is perfectly happy in trays(well deepish ones -I use mushroom punnets and grow them on until ready to plant out)

Yes there is some root tangle but they don`t seem to mind. Tip with sweetcorn,later when the plants are full size and you see those `hen`s feet` roots showing,earth them up a bit.

The squash look good,let them grow a bit more before planting out though.

Now okra---------getting them to germinate is not the problem,it`s getting the blighters to keep going,they have a nasty habit of looking good and then keeling over. But good luck and if you do a get a decent crop
I will be thrilled-and ask you for some tips
PPHammer
Yorkshire, UK

27-04-2010, 07:30 PM

It seems to be me coming to you for tips OG
I also see my asparagus peas are through.

I will let you know about the okra. But it will be more luck than judgement.

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top