Join for free
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Old git
West Deeping Lincs
Old git is male  Old git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2010, 08:12 PM

Re: Today I am planting.....

It seems to be me coming to you for tips OG

Well I did start in 1977-sitting in a cellar watching rats all day wasn`t that exciting. OK I did end up with a PhD,but my first half allotment kept me sane
PPHammer
Yorkshire, UK
PPHammer is male  PPHammer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2010, 08:28 PM

While we are seeking tips, if by any chance you found a supermarket tomato that had any taste, what is the likelihood of being able to grow from it's seeds?

My mother bought some toms and she said they were the tastiest ones she had ever bought. I asked her to save some seeds to see if I could grow them for her. Did I do right?
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2010, 08:31 PM

I think they wouldn't breed true if they were hybrids; why not give it a try just for the heck of it? But I await OG's wisdom here.
PPHammer
Yorkshire, UK
PPHammer is male  PPHammer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2010, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by dandysmom ->
I think they wouldn't breed true if they were hybrids; why not give it a try just for the heck of it? But I await OG's wisdom here.
lol - I am going to try anyway, but would be interested to know from someone who may have done it
Old git
West Deeping Lincs
Old git is male  Old git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2010, 12:19 PM

As Eileen says they will most likely be F1 hybrids so will not come `true` from seeds.

That said there is no reason not to try,you never know what will turn up.

I have never tried as there are enough non F1s yet to try and for the few I do grow(and sell) they have to be `true`
val
Kent UK
val is female  val has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2010, 07:57 AM

My cucumbers have come through and the sweetcorn, going to sow some seeds direct today, foxgloves and borage. I love the blue of borage and the bees love it to. It says on the packet to grow close to toms to attract bees , helps fertilisation, never knew that.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2010, 04:34 PM

I love the blue of borage; didn't know that about planting by the toms, though, thanks!
val
Kent UK
val is female  val has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-05-2010, 06:59 AM

In case anyone is interested T&M have a sale on, on their veg seeds, also some plant offers.
PPHammer
Yorkshire, UK

01-05-2010, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by val ->
In case anyone is interested T&M have a sale on, on their veg seeds, also some plant offers.
Yes, I have just got some real bargains.
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-05-2010, 02:03 PM

I've just picked the second feed of Pak Choi. What a good value veg that is - sown in the polytunnel only a few weeks ago, needs no attention and there it is. A cloche would be fine for early outdoor sowings and it's happy in the open in the main season

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top