Join for free
Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Rainbow
Surrey UK
Rainbow is female  Rainbow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2010, 09:14 PM

Re: Growing your own Veggies?

Hi dandysmom, I forgot about Herbs. I used to grow some of these. Loved to nibble on Garlic Chives!!!

Rainbow
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2010, 09:14 PM

The local council is responsible for the allocation of allotments and where I live there is also a waiting list. However, if someone has an allotment which is getting too much for them to manage they are allowed to "share" it and two people can have half of a full allotment. I think this is a good idea and a couple of friends have done this together very successfully.

We just grow runner beans every year which usually do quite well. We have tried other stuff over the years, but the wildlife always seem to get the best share, so I tend to stick to flowers and shrubs these days.
Old git
West Deeping Lincs
Old git is male  Old git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2010, 01:18 PM

I grow a few herbs-at one time I offered all sorts of basils but the good folk around here are not yet ready for Thai/Holy basil,nor even the small leaved bush types.

And summer savory?-it never caught on
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2010, 04:39 PM

I love garlic chives, easy to grow. Tried holy basil, but prefer the Genoa variety. It's trying like mad to set flowers, I pinch them off daily and they keep coming!
Old git
West Deeping Lincs
Old git is male  Old git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2010, 01:28 PM

DM-Basil Genovese is the standard basil to grow but if you can find it try Neapolitana as well. Much larger leaves with all the flavour and so large you can stuff them(well OK not as large as a vine leaf) but with a little care?

A bit of grated parmigiano ,some ground pine nuts,a slice of tomato-dress with a touch of olive oil and wrap.

Move over Ina. Actually I think she is alright
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2010, 04:44 PM

Thanks, OG, will keep my eye open for that when he seed catalogues start coming again. That recipe sounds mouth watering......
Old git
West Deeping Lincs

09-09-2010, 04:54 PM

DM if you do not see Neapolitan basil look for `lettuce leaf` basil(foglie di lattuga) The latter is not quite as tasty/aromatic but the leaves are even larger
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA

09-09-2010, 04:59 PM

Have made a note, thanks!
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2010, 06:25 PM

There is a four or five year waiting list for allotments here in West London. Luckily, I have a tiny patch which I have rescued from the dog run and grow French Beans, Broad Beans, Lettuce, Tomatoes, Cauliflower, several varieties of cabbage, peppers, chillis and loads of herbs.
Dancingsky
None
Dancingsky is female  Dancingsky has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-09-2010, 10:19 AM

I have never been interested in home grown produce apart from herbs, which I have planted in tubs around the place. My husband grew some lettuce once, but I preferred the supermarket variety. We have gooseberry, redcurrant and blackcurrant bushes, most of which go to waste as only my husband likes those fruits and I stew a few for him, but that is all. The neighbours grow their own, otherwise they would be more than welcome to pick them.

Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top