Join for free
Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-04-2019, 10:10 PM

Re: Cosmos from seed.

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
In the wardrobe?

Of course.

I have grown the smaller Cosmos before, they are nice too.
The 'Sonata' strain.
Have a look. I like the yellow ones, third picture down, haven't tried them yet though.
For real gaudy colours though, see the 4th picture down.

https://search.thompson-morgan.com/seeds/Dwarf-Cosmos
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2019, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by pauline3 ->
I love cosmos,it fills spaces,with beauty,I love everything about it,I usually buy it in a pack of 10,well on its way,I may buy some seeds tomorrow from Wilko,have you seen how high some of them grow?
I first saw them at Rosemoor and thought they were so lovely but still can't believe they grow so much in one year. So are you saying you can buy them as young plants pauline? I haven't seen them around here.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2019, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Of course.

I have grown the smaller Cosmos before, they are nice too.
The 'Sonata' strain.
Have a look. I like the yellow ones, third picture down, haven't tried them yet though.
For real gaudy colours though, see the 4th picture down.

https://search.thompson-morgan.com/seeds/Dwarf-Cosmos
So nice aren't they. I should have said that also have some dwarf ones which seem Ok at the moment. I have increased the light by moving them higher up in the bay window and have started brushing them gently with my hand to see if it thickens them up. I will give them another week or so then will replant if needed. Trouble is, I'm not really sure what I can do differently.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2019, 11:28 AM

I first saw them at Rosemoor and thought they were so lovely but still can't believe they grow so much in one year. So are you saying you can buy them as young plants pauline? I haven't seen them around here.

Dongle, loads of places sell plug plants online, plus most garden centres too, but Sarah Raven's are spectaclular. Have a look here, you'll love them.

https://www.sarahraven.com/flowers/plants/cosmos_2
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

02-04-2019, 11:35 AM

Dongle, loads of places sell plug plants online, plus most garden centres too, but Sarah Raven's are spectaclular. Have a look here, you'll love them.

https://www.sarahraven.com/flowers/plants/cosmos_2
Ha! Yes, thanks Mups, I googled it and came up with the same link. In fact, my seeds are Sarah raven too. Might be an idea if all else fails and I could try something else from seed. I am also growing those little multi-coloured daisy things (forget the name) which seem OK too.

Runner beans soon too.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

02-04-2019, 11:40 AM

Ha! Yes, thanks Mups, I googled it and came up with the same link. In fact, my seeds are Sarah raven too. Might be an idea if all else fails and I could try something else from seed. I am also growing those little multi-coloured daisy things (forget the name) which seem OK too.

Runner beans soon too.

Hers are really beautiful, aren't they.

If you do decide on plugs though, best not leave it too long to order, else little ones will have grown o, big. The smaller plugs are cheaper than bigger plants.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

02-04-2019, 01:08 PM

Hers are really beautiful, aren't they.

If you do decide on plugs though, best not leave it too long to order, else little ones will have grown o, big. The smaller plugs are cheaper than bigger plants.
Thanks for the advice. I'm off to the garden centre tomorrow to see what they have then will take it from there. x
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

02-04-2019, 03:27 PM

Thanks for the advice. I'm off to the garden centre tomorrow to see what they have then will take it from there. x

Good idea to have a look round.
Can I come?

Let us know how you get on.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

03-04-2019, 10:30 AM

Good idea to have a look round.
Can I come?

Let us know how you get on.
Will do. I will be buy you an imaginary latte and one of their iced Danish pastries.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2019, 03:17 PM

If mine get a bit "leggy" I plant them deeper in the pots when potting up. It works sometimes.

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top