Join for free
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 > Last »
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2019, 10:15 PM

Organic Slug & Snail Repellent

Slugs and snails are making a right mess of my lovely Dahlias this year.
I worry about putting anything down that is going to harm my dogs or other wildlife.

Then while I was in Wilko's the other day, I saw this:

https://www.doff.co.uk/product/organ...g-defence-gel/

It is supposed to be completely harmless to pets, so
I bought some.
With it being so wet all day, I know all the little blighters will be out in force tonight, so have put the first application round my plants.

I will go out shortly with my torch on snail patrol and see if it is working or not.

I wondered if anyone else has ever used this product, and if so, did it work?
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2019, 10:28 PM

Re: Organic Slug & Snail Repellent

I never use slug pellets,but bought some,(dog friendly) to put in my very large tub as they are devouring my petunias,

Not keen on the barrier stuff,only because snails/slugs are actually living in the tub.so that wouldn't work for my needs,..good luck with it.

I believe they live in and amongst the petunias,the conditions are perfect for them.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2019, 10:29 PM

Don't even start me on the subject Mups. I've been doing dawn and dusk patrols and this rain doesn't help. But a colleague at work mentioned that she has no slugs or snails on her veg because a gardener she has used put down some special sharp gravel that repels them. I'm thinking of trying it next year. I think it works a bit like eggshells but you don't have to eat a whole load of blinkin' eggs!
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2019, 11:03 PM

If it's a repellent , I assume it won't kill them. Just send them next door

Always wary of slug bait. Mainly because of the birds and hedgehogs . Oddly enough, a few years ago there were slugs everywhere here, but now I rarely see any.

That could well be because I have had a few hedgehogs in the garden .

Little pots of beer are supposed to work, and at least they'd have a happy end rather than a slow one.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2019, 11:10 PM

pots of beer are just a waste of good beer. They may kill some but attract a heap of others to the area.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2019, 11:14 PM

I wouldn't put any slug pellets on the actual ground,I would worry about my wildlife too much.

Only in the container I mentioned.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK

25-06-2019, 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
pots of beer are just a waste of good beer. but attract a heap of others to the area.
Especially if you live next door to an alcoholic!.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2019, 11:57 PM

pots of beer are just a waste of good beer. They may kill some but attract a heap of others to the area.

Yes, I reckon at least 3 of my dogs would drink that!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

26-06-2019, 12:02 AM

Don't even start me on the subject Mups. I've been doing dawn and dusk patrols and this rain doesn't help. But a colleague at work mentioned that she has no slugs or snails on her veg because a gardener she has used put down some special sharp gravel that repels them. I'm thinking of trying it next year. I think it works a bit like eggshells but you don't have to eat a whole load of blinkin' eggs!

Funny you should say that about the gravel, Annie, because I experimented with that around one particular Dahlia.
Last night I went and inspected it, and there were THREE of the biggest snails in the world sliding up my plant!!

Maybe I didn't put enough down, I don't know.
I think a trip to B&Q for a larger bag of grit is on the cards for tomorrow.

Just going to nip out there one more time for a last inspection.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2019, 12:58 AM

I use diatomaceous earth.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top