Join for free
Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Pyxell
South of England
Pyxell is female  Pyxell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2019, 07:43 AM

Re: Organic Slug & Snail Repellent

Has anyone tried the nematode type of slug killer? It's ok for wildlife.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2019, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Don't even start me on the subject Mups. I've been doing dawn and dusk patrols and this rain doesn't help. But a colleague at work mentioned that she has no slugs or snails on her veg because a gardener she has used put down some special sharp gravel that repels them. I'm thinking of trying it next year. I think it works a bit like eggshells but you don't have to eat a whole load of blinkin' eggs!
I use very fine sharp gravel put in a circle around the bottom of each young runner bean plant to prevent slug damage. I also use home made plastic collars.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2019, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by Bratti ->
I use diatomaceous earth.

I read about this Bratti.

Does it really work? If so, can you explain exactly what you do with it please?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2019, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I use very fine sharp gravel put in a circle around the bottom of each young runner bean plant to prevent slug damage. I also use home made plastic collars.

Do you just sprinkle a circle of grit around the plant Meg?
I tried that with one of the bigger Dahlias, but they still seemed to be able to slither over it.

Could there be some grits sharper than others?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

26-06-2019, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by Pyxell ->
Has anyone tried the nematode type of slug killer? It's ok for wildlife.

Pyxell, I tried the Nematodes for Vine Weeval, but didn't have much joy. I have never tried the slug/snail one though, have you?

I have a new packet for vine weeval in the fridge to mix up as we speak, so I will try once more. Last year I had to resort back to the chemical drenches instead in the end though.

The chemicals are a very last resort because of my dogs, they are always poking about where they shouldn't, and the oldest one sometimes takes a mouthful of compost too.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2019, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Do you just sprinkle a circle of grit around the plant Meg?
I tried that with one of the bigger Dahlias, but they still seemed to be able to slither over it.

Could there be some grits sharper than others?
Mups I use the very fine grit in a circle around each plant , it is quite sharp so not easy for them to crawl over. I sometimes use 'collars' made from clear disposable plastic picnic mugs with the bottoms cut out similar to this made from a bottle but I don't have any of those...
The grit goes inside the ring.

Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2019, 12:54 PM

I read about this Bratti.

Does it really work? If so, can you explain exactly what you do with it please?
Yes it does really work. It’s very fine dust that’s made from fossils and it’s so sharp and fine it slices them open so they die.

All you do is sprinkle some at the bottom of your plants. That’s where slugs and snails begin their climb onto your plants.

Note: the only downside is that you need to do this before it rains. After a big rainfall you may need to do it again depending on how much you used. Most of earth should still be there, but a lot of rain can disperse and move it around causing it to wash away.

This stuff is great to give to dogs also to help eliminate parasites.
Pyxell
South of England
Pyxell is female  Pyxell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2019, 01:19 PM

Pyxell, I tried the Nematodes for Vine Weeval, but didn't have much joy. I have never tried the slug/snail one though, have you?

I have a new packet for vine weeval in the fridge to mix up as we speak, so I will try once more. Last year I had to resort back to the chemical drenches instead in the end though.

The chemicals are a very last resort because of my dogs, they are always poking about where they shouldn't, and the oldest one sometimes takes a mouthful of compost too.
I haven't used nematodes yet, as I've been out of gardening for a few years. They might be better for slugs than for weevils.

You can get ladybird larvae which are voracious devourers of aphids, so I am wondering if they would devour vine weevil larvae? Or are the larvae like mealworms? If the latter, the birds might welcome them!

I always swore by copper tape for slugs and snails, but obviously the plant has to be in a container and the soil clean of eggs. Plus, there should be be no overhanging plants next to the pot, else the wily snails climb up them and drop onto the target plant, bypassing the copper tape!

Maybe a combo of copper tape and nematodes?

I love hostas, and have a perfect shady bed for them, and would like to try and grow some again, but it is soul-destroying to see them chomped.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

26-06-2019, 02:52 PM

[QUOTE=Meg;1733646]Mups I use the very fine grit in a circle around each plant , it is quite sharp so not easy for them to crawl over. I sometimes use 'collars' made from clear disposable plastic picnic mugs with the bottoms cut out similar to this made from a bottle but I don't have any of those...
The grit goes inside the ring.

Thanks Meg. I'll try some different grit, or more of it.

It's a good idea about the plastic bottles cut down, but these plants are too big for that now.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

26-06-2019, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by Bratti ->
Yes it does really work. It’s very fine dust that’s made from fossils and it’s so sharp and fine it slices them open so they die.

All you do is sprinkle some at the bottom of your plants. That’s where slugs and snails begin their climb onto your plants.

Note: the only downside is that you need to do this before it rains. After a big rainfall you may need to do it again depending on how much you used. Most of earth should still be there, but a lot of rain can disperse and move it around causing it to wash away.

This stuff is great to give to dogs also to help eliminate parasites

That's interesting Bratti, thank you.
I know my friend used that as a wormer for her poultry too.
She also sprinkles it about on the ground and bedding in her fox pens. (She rescues foxes).

Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top