Join for free
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 > Last »
seaspirit
stowmarket suffolk
seaspirit is female  seaspirit has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2011, 06:15 PM

started putting garden to bed

nothing grew except the strawberries have dug up the herb bed and rescued some roots to pot up, and will try and grow veg there next year... big problem is what to do with the garden waste, bags are £1 each wondering if I can get it up the tip when the mobiltiy schooter is working ( needs batteries)bit too far to walk comfortbly... got a lot of strawberry runners so hopefully will have lots more next year I love strawberries
still nice out there, but mustn't over do it or I will be ill tomorrow
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2011, 06:24 PM

Re: started putting garden to bed

I have been doing the same this week Seaspirit
Because of the drought here so many things in the garden are looking drab so I have cut back some herbs, the lavender hedge, bearsbreeches and artimesia and it is all ready to go to the tip (which only opens three days a week).

This has been my first year for the strawberry plants so I have cut off and discarded the runners until year 3.

You take care on that scooter
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2011, 06:44 PM

My garden is gradually being cleared as the crops finish. It's not been a classic year for veg, but the fruit crop has been absolutely amazing, and is still producing autumn raspberries, blackberries, apples, pears and cooking apples....the freezer is full and I'm running out of people to give all the surplus to....
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2011, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by plantman ->
My garden is gradually being cleared as the crops finish. It's not been a classic year for veg, but the fruit crop has been absolutely amazing, and is still producing autumn raspberries, blackberries, apples, pears and cooking apples....the freezer is full and I'm running out of people to give all the surplus to....

Wish I lived down the road from you ......
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2011, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by dandysmom ->
Wish I lived down the road from you ......
Yes that would be great Eileen, and you'd be very welcome, in fact if any of you Offers are passing then just call in and help yourselves.....
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2011, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by plantman ->
Yes that would be great Eileen, and you'd be very welcome, in fact if any of you Offers are passing then just call in and help yourselves.....
You may have a queue at your door tomorrow, Barry!
aitch
Wigan
aitch is male  aitch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2011, 06:07 PM

Ive taken down my hanging baskets as well as my garden pots, all foliage in mi green bin, and yesterday I cut both my lawns, I hope that this will be the last cut, they both need a good scarifying, but at present it is too wet,
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2011, 06:09 PM

All my hanging baskets have been emptied, washed and put away. The only plants that are still doing well are my geraniums...
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts

10-09-2011, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by aitch ->
Ive taken down my hanging baskets as well as my garden pots, all foliage in mi green bin, and yesterday I cut both my lawns, I hope that this will be the last cut, they both need a good scarifying, but at present it is too wet,
We tend to scarify the lawns in the spring, when the grass starts to grow strongly. Our lawns at the moment look a bit ragged because of the dryness of the summer, (plus a certain puppy has been digging holes all over them looking for grubs ), so we aerated them with a fork and today Mrs Plantman has top dressed them and filled in the holes with some compost and grass seed mixed, to try and green them up a bit before winter. Looks a real mess at the moment though....
aitch
Wigan
aitch is male  aitch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2011, 08:28 PM

I try to scarify both early and late, but at present my lawns are like water meadows, and at the best of times are subject to a lot of moss, so If i can get a good day in which to do it I will, and then go over with the winter weed and feed

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top