Join for free
Page 3 of 14 < 1 2 3 4 5 13 > Last »
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2011, 03:51 PM

Re: started putting garden to bed

Originally Posted by Roxy ->
I was given this tip about the dogs burning the grass. AND I just laughed.....till I tried it. When feeding every day put a tiny spot of Tomato Sauce (about a thumb nail size) in with the feed and somehow it dilutes the dogs urine. It takes a week or two to get into the dogs system before it works properly. As I said I laughed at it....but it worked for me and my lawns are fine again.
I've not heard about tomato sauce before Roxy - I might try it when she is a bit more grown up.
More tidying up today - garden furniture is now put away until next year and I have been patching up the lawn and re-seeding the worse bits. Trouble is she digs as well and watches what I do. As fast as I put new soil in the holes and sprinkle grass seed on she digs it all up again. Our grass now has wire mesh panels laid all over it in the vain hope it will stop her digging everything up again. It still looks like a bomb site.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2011, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
I've not heard about tomato sauce before Roxy - I might try it when she is a bit more grown up.
More tidying up today - garden furniture is now put away until next year and I have been patching up the lawn and re-seeding the worse bits. Trouble is she digs as well and watches what I do. As fast as I put new soil in the holes and sprinkle grass seed on she digs it all up again. Our grass now has wire mesh panels laid all over it in the vain hope it will stop her digging everything up again. It still looks like a bomb site.
I've not heard of that tomato sauce theory either, but worth a try I would think. Glad to hear that you've repaired your lawn in a fashion, although don't you think sometimes that you're swimming against the tide?
seaspirit
stowmarket suffolk
seaspirit is female  seaspirit has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2011, 06:04 PM

have left my front bit to the meadow stuff that comes naturally, sure there was a slipper orchid a couple of years ago
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2011, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by plantman ->
I've not heard of that tomato sauce theory either, but worth a try I would think. Glad to hear that you've repaired your lawn in a fashion, although don't you think sometimes that you're swimming against the tide?
It really is "in a fashion" Barry. Next thing will be all the leaves coming off the oaks - we get knee deep in them. The moles, squirrels, foxes etc. all do their bit of gardening, not to mention the flipping wood pigeons who use our summer-house and arch as a personal toilet. Our garden has always been a bit of an uphill struggle, so I don't really know why I keep trying to tame it.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2011, 08:27 AM

We gave the garden a real good tidy up over the W/E He did the digging and I weeded (groan) and sorted the tubs and baskets. Only 3 tubs left now, the ones with the wee marigolds in them. May get another couple of weeks out of them. Don't grow veg as his folks have the Market Garden down the road and I pop down there and pull whatever I need from the ground lol.
Berxer
Chatterbox
S.Wales, UK
Berxer is female  Berxer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2011, 03:02 PM

Have to add, because I can't quite believe it.......but my 6' sunflower snapped during the heavy wind recently, and Mr Berxer just stuck it back in the ground.......well, it's taken and yellow petals are now quite visible. Strange, I thought.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2011, 04:05 PM

Wow Berxer, that's unusual; didn't think it could do that!
maryl
UK
maryl is female  maryl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2011, 05:31 PM

That is fantastic Berxer!! It must be a strong one then, save some seeds for next year?
My one and only attempt at growing a sunflower was this year. The Brownie pack gave one of my grandaughters one in a weeny little pot. It is now over 10 ft tall. It was so important to her that we staked it well so survived those bad storms we had. When do I cut it to save the seeds, the birds are not eating them yet?
Berxer
Chatterbox
S.Wales, UK
Berxer is female  Berxer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2011, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by dandysmom ->
Wow Berxer, that's unusual; didn't think it could do that!
Nor me......Mr Berxer (ever the hopeful) thought it might save it, and it has!

Originally Posted by maryl ->
That is fantastic Berxer!! It must be a strong one then, save some seeds for next year?
My one and only attempt at growing a sunflower was this year. The Brownie pack gave one of my grandaughters one in a weeny little pot. It is now over 10 ft tall. It was so important to her that we staked it well so survived those bad storms we had. When do I cut it to save the seeds, the birds are not eating them yet?
Shall definitely save some seeds from it. Like you though, not sure when this should be.
maryl
UK
maryl is female  maryl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2011, 07:26 PM

Climbed up a tall ladder this morning and plucked out a few of the things that I thought were sunflower seeds. They are only weeny little round yellow things with a yellow flower thingy on the end. So obviously not ready yet. So hard to see what's going on up there when the plant's over 10ft and I am 5ft!

Page 3 of 14 < 1 2 3 4 5 13 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top