Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2020, 04:11 PM

I Thought This Was A Good Idea.

I usually buy a 20k sack of mixed corn for my hens to give them some daily as a treat.
I only have three hens at the moment, so l thought l’d go to my local pet shop for a one kilo bag. At the shop, l couldn’t see any so l asked the assistant. He pointed at some plastic milk bottles filled with different things, bird seed, nuts etc. and there was the mixed corn in one of them.
He said, it was his wife’s idea to save using plastic bags. The idea is you bring your plastic bottle back when you buy another supply.
I thought it was a good idea but maybe it’s old hat?

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	8B6B187D-BE9E-4B98-96A0-BF721B85D703.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	11666  
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2020, 04:18 PM

Re: I Thought This Was A Good Idea.

Yes, a good idea. But we get our milk delivered in glass bottles which are reused.
Oh, and we don't have hens............
Last Tango
North Ayrshire, Scotland
Last Tango is female  Last Tango has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2020, 04:22 PM

A very good idea, indeed.

As an aside, Art, when I was at church this morning I was given four eggs from another member of the Congregation who also keeps her own chickens. I came home and had poached egg on toast for lunch and it was absolutely delicious!
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2020, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
Yes, a good idea. But we get our milk delivered in glass bottles which are reused.
Oh, and we don't have hens............
Besoeker, The plastic bottles were filled with various things not just corn. Do you feed the birds?
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK

23-02-2020, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by Last Tango ->
A very good idea, indeed.

As an aside, Art, when I was at church this morning I was given four eggs from another member of the Congregation who also keeps her own chickens. I came home and had poached egg on toast for lunch and it was absolutely delicious!
LT, l’m p,eased you enjoyed the fresh eggs. The are far nicer than shop eggs and you know what they’ve been fed on!
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2020, 05:10 PM

A really good idea Art.
We should use our own tubs and boxes when shopping too!
Do away with packaging all together
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2020, 05:12 PM

In the past, I've cut the bottom off small plastic bottles and used them as scoops.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK

23-02-2020, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by Rhian ->
A really good idea Art.
We should use our own tubs and boxes when shopping too!
Do away with packaging all together
That would be good too, Rhian.
It took me ages to get used to taking carrier bags out of my car before entering the store but now l do it automatically! It would just be a matter of remembering to take your tubs and boxes too!
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK

23-02-2020, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
In the past, I've cut the bottom off small plastic bottles and used them as scoops.
That’s a good idea too, Percy. Bottles are quite versatile for different uses.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2020, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Besoeker, The plastic bottles were filled with various things not just corn. Do you feed the birds?
Yes, I can see that reusing the plastic bottles cuts down on plastic waste. My point was just that our milk doesn't use plastic in the first place.

We did feed the birds before we moved. Like a lot things that we haven't yet found since the move, the bird feeder is one. We'll get there.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top