Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2021, 09:19 AM

Re: Can we ever trust anyone

Originally Posted by summer ->
I think its wrong to expect too much of people Susan especially family we raise our kids to fly the nest and make lives for themselves....we become secondary and thats as it should be . Friends come and go it doesn't mean we wasted our time being friends its just a time of our lives we were close to those people...if you don't expect too much you don't get hurt.
I agree Summer don't expect too much and you won't be disappointed.

With regard to the original post,
Then tonight I've had a message from one friend telling me to be wary of this other friend
I don't like 'gossip' and prefer to make my own mind up about people.
If this had been said to me I would have replied '' We are all friends, thank you for the 'advice' but I prefer not to discuss other friends behind their back''.

When I was working I made it quite clear from day one that I don't like gossip and have no wish to discuss other people behind their backs. Anything I had to say to anyone was said to their face.
I didn't care if they discussed me I didn't want to know it was of no consequence.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2021, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by summer ->
I think its wrong to expect too much of people Susan especially family we raise our kids to fly the nest and make lives for themselves....we become secondary and thats as it should be . Friends come and go it doesn't mean we wasted our time being friends its just a time of our lives we were close to those people...if you don't expect too much you don't get hurt.
Yes I agree it's a big lesson in life and I recognise it now and am happier for it
Bathsheba
Devon, UK
Bathsheba is female  Bathsheba has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2021, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
Then tonight I've had a message from one friend telling me to be wary of this other friend and I don't know if it is jealousy or that I shouldn't trust this friend. She didn't elaborate and hasn't answered my message as to what she means.
I think I would send one more text telling her that as you have no idea why you should be wary of this other friend, then you will carry on as usual. Tell her if this is something between her and the other friend, then you want nothing to do with it.

Originally Posted by Psmith ->
If you want a true and loyal friend,get a dog.
I read somewhere an easy little trick to find out who loves you more - your wife or your dog. What you do is, you lock them (one at a time) in the boot of your car for an hour, and see which one is pleased to see you when you open the boot

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
"There are friends for a reason, friends for a season, friends for all time"
I love that quote PK
Bathsheba
Devon, UK
Bathsheba is female  Bathsheba has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2021, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
When I was working I made it quite clear from day one that I don't like gossip and have no wish to discuss other people behind their backs. Anything I had to say to anyone was said to their face.
I didn't care if they discussed me I didn't want to know it was of no consequence.
I read once that "what other people think of me is none of my business". I had to think about it for a minute or two, but then realised that oh yes, this is so true! We do not have any rights over someone else's opinions, even if they are opinions about us.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2021, 10:33 AM

Sounds like all this lockdown has made idle time for the devil to make work.

Some friendships tend to disappear until, at best, they become acquiantances.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2021, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by susan m ->
Oh LQ I know what you are feeling. My life journey has sadly taught me that people I once believed loved me Male and female didnt care for me as I cared for them . I was the fool who loved unconditionally believing they would be in my life always . But each of them have gone some I'd loved for many many years , some walked away some acted up to create a reason and left me bereaved . I look back and see how more important to me they were than me to them. Sadly I can include family in this it leaves me deeply wounded .

I have only myself and I often ask out loud "why" but there is no answer.

Read my signature there is a lot of pain in those words .
That is NOT a quote from Martin Luther.

It is from Michael King, Jr who adopted the name Martin Luther King. His ACTUAL biology is ---- somewhat at variance with how he is being presented.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2021, 11:15 AM

Thanks for the replies all.

She still hasn't responded to my message what she means.

These two seem to have issues with each other with me stuck in the middle. Thing is they get together sometimes, I don't really understand why because it seems they both don't particularly like each other, nowt na queer as folk eh

I'm quite sad to think she saying the other has been backstabbing me, because I really did think we are friends.

I once read, your friends only have good things to say about you behind your back, hmmmmmmmm ok
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2021, 12:17 PM

I remember you telling us about the 'friend' who you could hear calling you on the other end of the telephone when she didn't put the receiver down properly.

Not her again is it Queenie?
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2021, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
Can we really trust our friends? Should we trust them or should we be wary?

I've been deeply hurt in the past and I'm wary of everyone now. Then tonight I've had a message from one friend telling me to be wary of this other friend and I don't know if it is jealousy or that I shouldn't trust this friend. She didn't elaborate and hasn't answered my message as to what she means.

I am beginning to think I'm better off with no friends as I only trust myself and my husband these days!

How old are my friends? Oh yeah, they are both in their 50s!!!!!! Schoolyard stuff and I;m fed up of it.

So do you trust all your friends?

Like others have said get her to explain what she means & if she won't say tell her as you have no idea what she is on about you will not bother about it.

I had a 'friend' years ago, a neighbour, but I soon discovered she was only my friend as long as I was useful to her. Taking her kids to school with mine, doing shopping for her & generally being useful, took me a while to realise she was totally selfish. She & her family moved house, but not far & she still expected me to do stuff for her. By then I was working & said sorry I can't now & she dropped me like a hot potato. Her family then moved much further away to another town, never saw her again.
I still have three good friends from that time, we have grown older together & are still very good friends & see each other regularly, do things for each other as friends should, or were, before Covid, not so much now, but we keep in touch.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2021, 12:48 PM

One gets very very few friends in life. Often many acquaintances, some quite close, but damn few friends.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top