Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2021, 02:09 PM

Re: What to do ..

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
Know the problem. A lot of it really is junk - but still...........
That said, we moved house about two years ago and I spent quite a bit of old stuff, much of it old documents, that I shredded. A lot of it - four of our large refuse bins full.

One thing I kept was photographs. Old photographs. Quite a few are from around 1900. Those are precious.
I have kept all old photos.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2021, 02:12 PM

It's interesting watching TV progs such as Dikenson's Real Deal and Flog It.

When younger, it would have pained me enormously to sell old family heirlooms just so we could have a meal or a daytrip to Alton Towers.

Nowadays, not quite so sure!! After all, shrouds don't have pockets.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2021, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Yes I would like do this to give my children any stuff now -if they want it as opposed to later or get shut of it .
I still have naff little trinkets of my mother’s, like a tiny vase that dropped and was broken. I mended it, no way would l throw it out.
A plastic deer, it stands on the window sill with pride.

Patience Strong words of advice stuck on a card with my mother’s beautiful writing telling me to read it and take note.. l would rather them put into my coffin with me than end up in the bin...
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2021, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
It's interesting watching TV progs such as Dikenson's Real Deal and Flog It.

When younger, it would have pained me enormously to sell old family heirlooms just so we could have a meal or a daytrip to Alton Towers.

Nowadays, not quite so sure!! After all, shrouds don't have pockets.

Some things are of no intrinsic value they are things that people owned who are now dead valued only by them .
Yet they hold memories of a time of people who once lived and loved and are now gone forever,
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

21-06-2021, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
I still have naff little trinkets of my mother’s, like a tiny vase that dropped and was broken. I mended it, no way would l throw it out.
A plastic deer, it stands on the window sill with pride.

Patience Strong words of advice stuck on a card with my mother’s beautiful writing telling me to read it and take note.. l would rather them put into my coffin with me than end up in the bin...
Yes Art that’s how it is.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2021, 08:01 PM

I would keep it Muddy. Let the children get rid when you have gone. I have a few no value things which I cannot part with. For example my dad's sheepskin which I wear sometimes, his cap a woollen scarf, his gloves, his shaving stuff, specs. I also have a tobacco jar belonging to my grandad (all in bits, but glued together) It's a biscuitware dog smoking a pipe and wearing a cap - looks a lot like him. I have his 1st WW medals. Together with my dad's medals and some very old photographs - they are priceless to me. I don't look at them often, but it seems to keep me close to them both - stupid, sentimental woman I am.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2021, 08:02 PM

Muddy that is a difficult decision to make.

I kept a couple of things belonging to my Father, his cementing trowel and a magnifying glass both frequently used by my with fond memories.
I kept my husbands letters,his army medals and regimental items.
I would keep what is special to you and dispose of the rest.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2021, 08:04 PM

While most have little interest, isn't there usually one, a niece or a cousin, who revels in such family history?

My sister-in-law, Mrs d00d's half brother ...

Maybe you should ask around.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2021, 08:27 PM

Could you display any of them in something like this, Muddy?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/GraduatePro...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

21-06-2021, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
I would keep it Muddy. Let the children get rid when you have gone. I have a few no value things which I cannot part with. For example my dad's sheepskin which I wear sometimes, his cap a woollen scarf, his gloves, his shaving stuff, specs. I also have a tobacco jar belonging to my grandad (all in bits, but glued together) It's a biscuitware dog smoking a pipe and wearing a cap - looks a lot like him. I have his 1st WW medals. Together with my dad's medals and some very old photographs - they are priceless to me. I don't look at them often, but it seems to keep me close to them both - stupid, sentimental woman I am.
No you’re not aero
I too sometimes wear my dads old coat and his service medals .I have my granddads baccy jar too.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top