Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Bathsheba
Devon, UK
Bathsheba is female  Bathsheba has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-06-2021, 02:35 PM

Re: Bee02

Originally Posted by Bratti ->
Are ladybirds the same thing as ladybugs. Those roundish bugs with spots on them that fly?
Beautiful photo’.
Yes they are. Known as ladybirds in the UK. In fact we've been laughing at our granddaughter for calling them ladybugs - she's obviously been watching far too many American YouTube videos

Edited to add: heaven only knows why we call them ladybirds and not ladybugs. I mean, they are NOT birds, are they? Ladybugs is a far more accurate name for them!
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-06-2021, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by Bathsheba ->
Yes they are. Known as ladybirds in the UK. In fact we've been laughing at our granddaughter for calling them ladybugs - she's obviously been watching far too many American YouTube videos

Edited to add: heaven only knows why we call them ladybirds and not ladybugs. I mean, they are NOT birds, are they? Ladybugs is a far more accurate name for them!
Birds because they fly, maybe?

I'm surprised nobody has objected to calling them ladies the way things are going!
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-06-2021, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
Birds because they fly, maybe?

I'm surprised nobody has objected to calling them ladies the way things are going!
Well, whaddya know?

Etymology
The name coccinellids is derived from the Latin word coccineus meaning "scarlet".[7] The name "ladybird" originated in Britain where the insects became known as "Our Lady's bird" or the Lady beetle.[8][9] Mary (Our Lady) was often depicted wearing a red cloak in early paintings, and the spots of the seven-spot ladybird (the most common in Europe) were said to symbolise her seven joys and seven sorrows.[8][10] In the United States, the name was adapted to "ladybug". Common names in some other European languages have the same association; for example, the German name Marienkäfer translates to Marybeetle.[11]
From wiki
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-06-2021, 03:34 PM

Here's a bee I rescued from a bucket of water in our garden, and gave it a drink of sugar water in a milk bottle top . Not a great quality pic, because it's a still from an iPhone video.

[IMG]

[/IMG]
That's a great capture. Bathsheba!
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-06-2021, 04:32 PM

Here's a bee I rescued from a bucket of water in our garden, and gave it a drink of sugar water in a milk bottle top . Not a great quality pic, because it's a still from an iPhone video.

[IMG]

[/IMG]
Awww thank you for saving the bee, Sheba! Its actually a good photo though.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK

22-06-2021, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
Well, whaddya know?

From wiki
Dex, that is so interesting! Thank you for that, I never knew
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-06-2021, 04:34 PM

I have to go on a bee rescue mission early evenings. They get inside the polytunnel and can't find their way out. A pint beer glass over them and then slide a bit of card under the rim being careful not to damage the the bee's knees. That traps the bees. Take them out and release them.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK

22-06-2021, 05:13 PM

Poor bees, Mart, thank you for rescuing them. There have been so few nowadays, we need to save as many as we can.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-06-2021, 05:26 PM

Dex, that is so interesting! Thank you for that, I never knew
Me neither Pixie. Learn something new every day. Well, every few days anyway
Bathsheba
Devon, UK
Bathsheba is female  Bathsheba has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-06-2021, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by Bratti ->
Awww…. Sweet.
Originally Posted by Mags ->
That's a great capture. Bathsheba!
Awww thank you for saving the bee, Sheba! Its actually a good photo though.
Thanks folks!

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top