Join for free
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa
Minx is female  Minx has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2021, 10:14 AM

Books

Be it e-book or good old fashioned paper books, what book/s are you currently reading?

I’ve tried in vain to start a book club but there’s not many takers
MargaretF
Northamptonshire, UK
MargaretF is female  MargaretF has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2021, 10:28 AM

Re: Books

I've recently started reading 'The Seven Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle' by Stuart Turton - a very weird book! I'm out of my comfort zone with this one but it is so well written that I shall stick with it - I want to know how it ends too!
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2021, 11:41 AM

'Stranger in a Strange Land' by Robert Heinlein. It is a SciFi novel - which is not normally my genre but was recommended. It is certainly strange!
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2021, 12:45 PM

The Red Zone by Peter Hartcher.
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa
Minx is female  Minx has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2021, 01:00 PM

Heinrich Harrer - Seven years in Tibet
UkGameCoder
UK
UkGameCoder is male 

16-07-2021, 06:51 PM

Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky. I read it last year. I would love to start a second reading as soon as possible.

A psycho-thriller-mindbending-moral of the most instinctive and logical aspects of the human condition. Clearly shows that any crime really does come with its own inbuilt punishment. The conscience transcends any man-made law, and it is within this unfathomable semi-darkness that we manage to survive and evolve as a species.

This book really has been one of the most educational psychological experiences of my entire life. And as a work of art, it is arguably unparalleled.

Do not start reading this book unless you have the next 10 to 14 days completely free because you won't be able to put it down.

Crime and Punishment does not have to be academically 'studied' as suggested by the opening introductions by the literary experts. Just read it as you would any other fictional novel. Be prepared to have your mind analysing, pittying, denouncing, judging, predicting, justifying, etc., sometimes all at once, for the entire duration of your reading of this work of genius.

I bought the paperback translation by Constance Garnett (1914).
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa

16-07-2021, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by UkGameCoder ->
Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky. I read it last year. I would love to start a second reading as soon as possible.

A psycho-thriller-mindbending-moral of the most instinctive and logical aspects of the human condition. Clearly shows that any crime really does come with its own inbuilt punishment. The conscience transcends any man-made law, and it is within this unfathomable semi-darkness that we manage to survive and evolve as a species.

This book really has been one of the most educational psychological experiences of my entire life. And as a work of art, it is arguably unparalleled.

Do not start reading this book unless you have the next 10 to 14 days completely free because you won't be able to put it down.

Crime and Punishment does not have to be academically 'studied' as suggested by the opening introductions by the literary experts. Just read it as you would any other fictional novel. Be prepared to have your mind analysing, pittying, denouncing, judging, predicting, justifying, etc., sometimes all at once, for the entire duration of your reading of this work of genius.

I bought the paperback translation by Constance Garnett (1914).
Interesting… added to read list
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2021, 11:15 PM

Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky.

Excellent book!

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top