Join for free
Page 12 of 16 « First < 2 10 11 12 13 14 > Last »
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2021, 12:14 AM

Re: Music concerts that you’ve attended

After posting the previous message I realised I was mistaken, it wasn't the Kinks I saw at the Leas Cliff Hall, they were a new band opening the second act of a one night stand.

The second band I saw at the Leas Cliff Hall was The Hollies.

When I think back those one night stands were brilliant, usually eight groups or artists. There was a strict hierarchy, the least famous opened the first half, the second least known opened the second half. The second most famous closed the first half, while the headline act closed the second half. The rest appeared in between.

For example The Shadows used to close the first half then appeared with Cliff Richard closing the second half.

One night stands had people like Del Shannon appear as well as popular British acts like John Leyton, Joe Brown, Helen Shapiro etc. As a young teen I loved 'em even though for most part they could have been reciting the Lords Prayer for all you could hear.
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa
Minx is female  Minx has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2021, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Glastonbury - 1994 - the late great Johnny Cash!
Pure Magic.
I love Johny Cash
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa
Minx is female  Minx has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2021, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Actually I think I have been to a concert in South Africa by Ravi Shankar I got tickets when the ship I was travelling back to the UK stopped in Cape Town and Durban.

When I was at Grammar School my friends and I used to attend every one night stand that came to Dover - I don't think any one night stand came to Fokestone where I lived though I did see the Rolling Stones and the Kinks in Folkestone at the Leas Cliff Hall.

The first band I actually heard over the screams of the girls was the Dave Clark Five, before that it was just a matter of watching and hoping they were really singing because the PAs were pathetic.

Later I used to go a club in London called The Marquee Club which used to have a lot of really good but new bands, there I saw people like Pink Floyd, jimmy Hendrix, Yardbirds and many famous bands. It was originally in Oxford St but moved to Soho as I recall, a really good venue.

My ex and I used to go the concerts at various venues in London to see people like Captain Beefheart, Ginger Bakers Airforce, The Nice and many others (I don't want this to end as a list of bands)

In Sydney I went to a place called the Sydney Stadium it was basically a very large tin shed with concrete tiers even the Beatles played there (I didn't see them). Actually I can't remember who I saw there but it was mainly Australian bands of the mid 60s
You’ve been to SA? What did you think of the place then? It’s a crap day to be South African - they can’t even get a vaccine program to work
Danny
Denver, CO
Danny is male  Danny has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2021, 11:03 AM

Rolling Stones _ Tattoo You
ZZ Top - El Loco
Jefferson Starship x2
38 Special
Loverboy
Ozzie
Crosby, Still, Nash
Rush
Sammy Hagar
Moody Blues
Carlos Santana
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa

20-07-2021, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
After posting the previous message I realised I was mistaken, it wasn't the Kinks I saw at the Leas Cliff Hall, they were a new band opening the second act of a one night stand.

The second band I saw at the Leas Cliff Hall was The Hollies.

When I think back those one night stands were brilliant, usually eight groups or artists. There was a strict hierarchy, the least famous opened the first half, the second least known opened the second half. The second most famous closed the first half, while the headline act closed the second half. The rest appeared in between.

For example The Shadows used to close the first half then appeared with Cliff Richard closing the second half.

One night stands had people like Del Shannon appear as well as popular British acts like John Leyton, Joe Brown, Helen Shapiro etc. As a young teen I loved 'em even though for most part they could have been reciting the Lords Prayer for all you could hear.
Interesting Bruce
Yeah - that kinda means something else in SA
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa

20-07-2021, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by Danny ->
Rolling Stones _ Tattoo You
ZZ Top - El Loco
Jefferson Starship x2
38 Special
Loverboy
Ozzie
Crosby, Still, Nash
Rush
Sammy Hagar
Moody Blues
Carlos Santana

That’s a lovely selection Danny! ZZ Top, Jefferson Starship, Moody Blues, Crosby Still Nash and Santana stand out
Danny
Denver, CO
Danny is male  Danny has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2021, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by Minx ->
That’s a lovely selection Danny! ZZ Top, Jefferson Starship, Moody Blues, Crosby Still Nash and Santana stand out
Saw most of them at what they call The Texas Jam. Big venue concert. Jefferson Starship and Santana both gave free concerts after the San Francisco earthquake in 1989. I just happened to be there.
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa

20-07-2021, 11:27 AM

Saw most of them at what they call The Texas Jam. Big venue concert. Jefferson Starship and Santana both gave free concerts after the San Francisco earthquake in 1989. I just happened to be there.
Awesome memories I’m sure
Danny
Denver, CO

20-07-2021, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by Minx ->
Awesome memories I’m sure
All but Sammy Hagar. Like an idiot, I let someone talk me into doing a Quaalude. Really don't remember much after the opening band Night Ranger. I think I was 17 at the time.

Which brings up another one hit wonder Night Ranger - Sister Christian
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa

20-07-2021, 11:46 AM

All but Sammy Hagar. Like an idiot, I let someone talk me into doing a Quaalude. Really don't remember much after the opening band Night Ranger. I think I was 17 at the time.

Which brings up another one hit wonder Night Ranger - Sister Christian
Well then, it’s time to update the OHW thread

Page 12 of 16 « First < 2 10 11 12 13 14 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top